Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need help on $1500 future build

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2011 6:38:40 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Late Jan. to Early Feb.

Budget Range: $1500 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly Gaming, Photo editing, minor video projects

Parts Not Required: Already have mouse, keys and speakers/headphones and monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or Tiger Direct

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 24-inch, 1920x1080 I think.

Additional Comments: Absolutely most bang for buck, and I hope to land as close to my budget as possible, no more $100 bucks less or more if possible.

So, I'm not building this until late Jan. early Feb. and I know some new stuff is coming out. It's my first build. I realize were not psychics, but can you guys help me plan for the future, should I go Ivy or Sandy type things. I have only a loose parts list, nothing too set in stone. If I have to sacrifice in one area to improve a more important component that's cool. You guys are the experts. I appreciate your help!

Here is what I know:

Case: Cooler Master SGC-5000-KKN1 CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Case - (can compromise if it comes down to it)

Graphics: EVGA 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked Video Card

More about : 1500 future build

November 27, 2011 7:57:29 AM

yeah if you want Ivy bridge theres not much to do for now but imo an i5 2500-k like mentioned above on a descent midline board of either the p67 or z68 chipset would serve you well for the next year or three and give some of the new ivy b boards time to work out glitches etc. and maybe even drop in price before you have to upgrade.
As far as the gpu goes 'Im an nvidea kind of guy and I dont do much with radeon to know the diff other than read reviews. I understand from reviews that there is a mid range area where n videa is lacking but on the higher end nvidea leads the pack.
The graphics is of course where you want to spend the extra so like mentioned above either go high end with single card or mid range with cross or sli
I have single Asus engtx 560 dcII 1gb ddr5 that I picked up on ebay for $150 that runs crysis and other intense graphics on full settings, I do see higher frame rates with ultra settings turned down to high. Not that it makes much diff in playability.
I think this card is considered a mid range card and normally sells for around $250 which if I hear right is the range where you might find a better deal with radeon
Its a shame you aren't purchasing now with deals like I'm seeing. Oh well maybe there will be after christmas deals for you.
You might check out the asus maximus iv gene-z it is reasonably priced and has all of the features of the full atx ROG boards including sli and crossfire. I got it and am o.c.'d to 4.378g with the i5 2500k

Diggin your choice of case too man. I got the coolermaster storm scout for the handles cause I go to lan parties and I'm lovin it.

Let us know what you go with and how it works out for you!

Quote: If you don't have time to do it right the first time..How will you ever find time to go back and fix it?!?!
Score
Related resources
November 27, 2011 10:17:29 PM

Yeah, I really wish I could pull the trigger and buy now, but, unfortunately, I can't go all out on myself during the Holiday. My big dilemma is trying to figure out whether to SLI/Crossfire now or go with one high-end single card and add another one later.
Score
November 27, 2011 11:26:23 PM

I would go with one larger card now and it will work fine. Save your money...in the future that same card will go down in price and you can purchase another one when needed. Most guys will say that if you can accomplish your desired performance withone card then that is your best bet because you will double cash out of pocket to sli\crfire but you will not double performance. performance will increase but not to the tune of the money spent.
Score
November 28, 2011 12:32:02 AM

This is what I have so far, I did some looking around and this is my skeleton cart. Things can be changed and I'm open to suggestions. If I could get a few eyes on it to make sure I didn't goof anything up. I'm going to try and pull my purchase date to around new years. I know the prices will change on some things, but it makes me feel better to know I have some things set in stone.

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106289
$16.99

Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, support up to E-ATX/XL-ATX, come with Four Fans-1x Front Red LED 230mm ...
Item #: N82E16811147053
$99.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152185
$149.99
Galaxy 58NLH5HS3PXZ GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814162073
$489.99

NVIDIA Gift - BATMAN Arkham City Game Coupon
Item #: N82E16800999283
-$49.99 Saving
$49.99
$0.00

Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,Active PFC"Compatible ...
Item #: N82E16817182188
-$110.00 Instant
$199.99
$89.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8Q-8GBRM
Item #: N82E16820231327
$79.99

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Item #: N82E16813131730
$179.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
Item #: N82E16819115070
$319.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
Item #: N82E16835103065
$25.99

Subtotal: $1,452.91
Score
November 28, 2011 12:32:53 AM

guess I could have posted links ... hold on ...
Score
November 28, 2011 1:17:17 AM
November 28, 2011 1:42:40 AM

Its ok for me , maybe others would like links but Ive seen most of this equip. I did just build mine 3 wks ago.

I think your choices are impressive and should make you a sweeet system. I only went with the i5 2500k because mostly gaming and web browsing.
Some guys would probobly say it was overkill with the psu but it looks like a killer deal your getting on it and I like the led lights. You know its your build and I would find it useful to let you know if something might not be needed or if not compatable but I wont criticize your choices for no reason like some of the guys would.
Besides if you want to SLI later even with higher power cards you should be set. The gtx 560 series are good mid range cards. I have one in this build by Asus.
Just keep an eye on Amazon and Tiger direct and you may see deals come and go.

It looks like it will be a colorful system, will you be doing any case modding like extra lights and fan controllers etc....
Have you ever been to Xoxide.com. They have modding kits and lots of cable stuff that the mainstream shops don't advertise. they have many fans and cable sleeve kits and fan controllers and lights etc...
Score
November 28, 2011 2:08:43 AM

i think this is a great setup for gaming and overclocking. unless you're going to be doing a lot of heavy multi-threaded applications like video editing, you don't need more than the 2500k tho. it performs just as well as the 2600k; the only difference is that the 2600k has hyperthreading. if i had to choose between the two, i would take the 2600k because my computer renders more videos than it plays games, but if you're mostly going to be doing games, don't spend the extra money on that processor if you don't have to.
Score
November 28, 2011 2:16:37 AM

1. If you will only be photo editing and doing small video projects on an irregular basis, you might be better off saving $100 with the i5-2500K.

2. It seems like you are going for a blue theme internally, while the case sports red LED fans all over the place - but it won't matter much since there is no side panel window on the case. Was there a color scheme you were aiming for?

3. You want a more reliable PSU - brands such as Corsair, Antec, and SeaSonic are known for quality. This PSU is modular and will support SLI GTX 580s:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4. For RAM, (4GB x 2) is the way to go. Low profile ram is ideal to avoid clearance issues with tall tower CPU coolers. Nice one here:
Score
November 28, 2011 3:18:14 AM

Yeah I didnt notice when you posted but he is right about the ram. the mobo makes better use of it when you dont have all 4 slots filled kinda like the gpu in sli you get more but not twice as much performance.

Example: When I first did my build I didnt have my new 2x4g ram dimms yet so I grabbed some 2g sticks and loaded all 4 slots ... When I finished loading things and had the system up and running I ran the windows index testing and my ram score with the 4x2g stix was only 6.2 out of possible 7.9 in win7 , When my new ram arrived in the mail I replaced the 4 2g with the 2 4g dimms and reran the test ... Now 7.9 out of 7.9

Now my old ram was 1333 and my new 1600 and had my old been the same my score may have been a little better but still not as good as only two slots filled. Also make sure you read your mobo manual as to which two slots to use. you might think slot 1 and 3 but my mobo is slot 2 and 4.

The other post was also correct about Using a good named psu but I have heard some good about Rosewill to.
one good thing about this websight is that you can just type in your part that you are curious about and hit go and usually, someone has posted about their experiences with the item in question. you might have to look through a few listings before you find relevence to your questions about the product but I've had good luck with finding adequate infomation.
Also because you only buy two actual dimms the manufacturer seems to charge less than for 4 dimms I got mine, Crucial Ballistics Sport 1600 ddr3 2x4g (8g) 12800, for only $45.00 through an Amazon vendor.
Score
November 28, 2011 4:06:17 AM

Yeah, I think I'll go with the i5 2500k and use a name PSU. And I see what you mean about the ram slots, didnt even notice. But what's the difference in RAM quality, do I lose quality by going with low pro ram. For example, what's the difference between these two. Seemingly the same specs but a $10 price difference. Also, steadywaters, the one you recommend is half the price of the other two below. Where's the money going?

Score
November 28, 2011 4:08:03 AM

If there's a difference I can use the $100 from downgrading on cpu to bump up the psu and ram quality.
Score
November 28, 2011 4:18:45 AM

For Sandy Bridge CPUs, you want RAM voltage at 1.5V or less.

The two RAM products you selected have better timings, which means better performance - though it probably won't be noticeable. Anyhow, neither of those two products will be ideal for you since they sport 1.6V.

The sweet spot (price-performance wise) for RAM right now is 8GB 1600.

Low profile version of Corsair Vengeance simply refers to the heatsinks - their performance is the same.

With the extra $100, I'd definitely suggest getting a better PSU as a poor PSU can take your entire system down with it.

Or, consider picking up an SSD (60-64GB) for a boot drive.
Score
November 28, 2011 5:02:07 AM

Yeah, I think I'll go with the i5 2500k and use a name PSU. And I see what you mean about the ram slots, didnt even notice. But what's the difference in RAM quality, do I lose quality by going with low pro ram. For example, what's the difference between these two. Seemingly the same specs but a $10 price difference. Also, steadywaters, the one you recommend is half the price of the other two below. Where's the money going?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...[/quotemsg]

I haven't quite got the hang of how to add url links to the page (maybe some help)?

What I wanted to show you is a link to the ram I got @ amazon
if you go to amazon.com drop down to computer components ddr3 1600 and look for Crucial Ballistics Sport ddr3 1600 8gb 2x4 you should find it. It is 1.5 v and it is only $49.99 w\ free shipping. there are others too, if you dont like Ballistix for any reason. There are different varieties of the g skill sniper series to that I have seen for much less.
Score
November 28, 2011 6:11:26 AM

Just copy and paste the link in, the forum automatically hyperlinks it for you.

Upgraded to the Corsair 1050W modular. ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

... Reviews seem to be pretty positive overall.

Went with the Corsair Vengeance low pro ram, just wanted to have all my parts in one basket ... it makes me feel better when I can see everything in the same place LOL.

anyone see anywhere else where I can save some $$$. Now that I have everything pretty much settled on, I'd like to cancel out as much of the shipping hit as I can (I live in Hawaii, $140 for shipping ... sigh ... no pc stores in Hawaii)
Score
November 28, 2011 6:52:45 AM

hawaii ?? damn u'll need a liquid nitrogen cooler to keep ur CPU running.
Go with something better then hyper 212+
Score
November 28, 2011 6:56:21 AM

also if u going to buy next year I would hold off on GPU as both AMD and Nvidia coming out with new series ..
Score

Best solution

November 28, 2011 2:24:17 PM

tmainss08 said:
Just copy and paste the link in, the forum automatically hyperlinks it for you.

Upgraded to the Corsair 1050W modular. ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

... Reviews seem to be pretty positive overall.

Went with the Corsair Vengeance low pro ram, just wanted to have all my parts in one basket ... it makes me feel better when I can see everything in the same place LOL.

anyone see anywhere else where I can save some $$$. Now that I have everything pretty much settled on, I'd like to cancel out as much of the shipping hit as I can (I live in Hawaii, $140 for shipping ... sigh ... no pc stores in Hawaii)

I tried to check your parts on Amazon but didn't find any better shipping, It seems everyone likes to charge shipping to HI, You should give newegg a call before you place your order, sometimes on larger orders they will bundle the shipping charges in order to make the sale. Ram looks good, just remember to keep an eye on the sales on different sites. sometimes the price break more than makes up for the shipping.
Also have you built a pc before , there are alot of useful guides on the internet to make sure you don't ruin the hardware etc... I assume that you have probably seen the videos on newegg giving detailed build proceedure.
It was one of the most informative and thorough series of videos I found. It answered a few questions that I had and my build went real smooth.
December 5, 2011 5:55:07 PM

Best answer selected by tmainss08.
Score
!