Possible to share broadband connection with Nokia?

Last response: in Technologies
May 9, 2005 10:40:01 PM

I have a Nokia 6820 and recently bought a bluetooth USB dongle for my
desktop PC. Is there any way to share the broadband connection I have on
my PC with my Nokia so that I can surf the web for free from my Nokia?
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:16:26 AM

Why would you want to do that?
Wouldnt it be better to user your PC to surf the web as it has a bigger
screen and more website options

Ian

"Cythereal" <atulley@example.net> wrote in message
> I have a Nokia 6820 and recently bought a bluetooth USB dongle for my
> desktop PC. Is there any way to share the broadband connection I have on
> my PC with my Nokia so that I can surf the web for free from my Nokia?
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 4:05:54 AM

Well, if you want to use actual software ON the phone then it's a perfectly
reasonable idea. Say someone doing web development, for example. Or
someone wanting to bookmark some WAP-capable web sites. Being able to do it
over the local PC's network connection is a helluva lot cheaper than being
gouged to use the cellular company's network (and faster too!)

Not all phones have this ability, unfortunately, and some (like my 6630) are
deliberately lacking the feature.

"Ian Davies" <ian.CUTTHISdandav@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Why would you want to do that?
> Wouldnt it be better to user your PC to surf the web as it has a bigger
> screen and more website options
>
> Ian
>

> "Cythereal" <atulley@example.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Nokia 6820 and recently bought a bluetooth USB dongle for my
> > desktop PC. Is there any way to share the broadband connection I have on
> > my PC with my Nokia so that I can surf the web for free from my Nokia?

May 16, 2005 7:55:30 PM

Yeh it's basically for Web development and such.
Sounding like it may not be possible then... which is a shame.

What would also be good is if, say, you could control Winamp using your
mobile phone and bluetooth. A friend of a friend apparently does that
with his iBook (with whatever the mac player software is) but no idea
how or if the same thing is possible on a PC.

wkearney99 wrote:
> Well, if you want to use actual software ON the phone then it's a perfectly
> reasonable idea. Say someone doing web development, for example. Or
> someone wanting to bookmark some WAP-capable web sites. Being able to do it
> over the local PC's network connection is a helluva lot cheaper than being
> gouged to use the cellular company's network (and faster too!)
>
> Not all phones have this ability, unfortunately, and some (like my 6630) are
> deliberately lacking the feature.
>

> "Ian Davies" <ian.CUTTHISdandav@virgin.net> wrote in message
>
>>Why would you want to do that?
>>Wouldnt it be better to user your PC to surf the web as it has a bigger
>>screen and more website options
>>
>>Ian
>>

>>"Cythereal" <atulley@example.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a Nokia 6820 and recently bought a bluetooth USB dongle for my
>>>desktop PC. Is there any way to share the broadband connection I have on
>>>my PC with my Nokia so that I can surf the web for free from my Nokia?

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:17:03 AM

> Yeh it's basically for Web development and such.
> Sounding like it may not be possible then... which is a shame.
>
> What would also be good is if, say, you could control Winamp using your
> mobile phone and bluetooth. A friend of a friend apparently does that with
> his iBook (with whatever the mac player software is) but no idea how or if
> the same thing is possible on a PC.

Float's Mobile Agent allows this with Sony-Ericsson BT phones. In fact you
can control the whole PC from the phone with the joystick. Runs Powerpoint
presentations as well.
JamBoy
!