Sign in with
Your question

MSI 990XA-GD55 RAID 1 Setup?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2013 1:22:16 PM

Hello,

How do I configure a hardware RAID 1 setup on an MSI 990XA-GD55 motherboard? I can set the SATA mode to RAID in the BIOS but then what? Should it be UEFI mode or legacy? How do I actually go about setting it to RAID 1? Any ideas?

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 1:50:33 PM

i had the same board. i dont think it matters i tried both, the only difference was the look of the setup i believe, i would just stick with the uefi. and on reboot you have to hit ctrl +f to get into the raid setup. i forget the exact key combo it is on the reboot its in the manual. if it doesnt work when hitting the key combo change it to legacy. but i would run raid 0 over raid 1 haha :-)
January 4, 2013 2:57:52 PM

Thanks for your reply. I changed from uefi to legacy and then got a screen on the next boot which mentioned ctrl+f. I didn't see this with uefi. Also I couldn't find anything in the manual regarding the RAID setup. Why would you chose RAID 0 over RAID 1? I am configuring RAID to hopefully prevent data loss from hard drive failure in the future, with RAID 0 if a drive breaks the data is lost...?
Related resources
June 28, 2013 9:19:51 AM

yes with raid 0 if 1 drive fails the other fails to but I would recommend if you are using 4 drives use raid 10
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2013 10:06:18 AM

younes-ea said:
yes with raid 0 if 1 drive fails the other fails to but I would recommend if you are using 4 drives use raid 10

i agree raid 10 is a compination of 0 and 1 basically you get the speed and reliabality. Raid 1 will actually slow you down since it has to copy from one drive to another all the time.
!