Status
Not open for further replies.

compuservant

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Pardon my ignorance but I read that the Ivy Bridge processor will use the same socket as the Sandy Bridge, the LGA 1155. Will I be able to put an IB CPU in my Dell XPS 8300 (quit snickering, I got a great deal on it.) I realize the 0Y2MRG wont support PCI-E version 3 and some of the newer features but since I have the core i7-2600 (not k) is there any value in putting a IB processor even if some fetures won't work. My other option is to simply wait. The current rig with the i7-2600 with a 120GB Hyperx SSD from Kingston (my doing), the 16 GB or RAM it came with along with a Radeon 6770, still is a mighty fine computer and will serve my needs for a while. I ws just wondering if a $200-$300 could make this $1200 dollar machine something truly special?
Thanks.

Solution

+1

OEMs like Dell have custom mobos which they can choose to update or not.

The build you have is really nice so I don't really see the need to upgrade.

If I were you, I would just save up for a new CPU in 5 years. That build will last you quite a long time.

e56imfg

Distinguished

+1

OEMs like Dell have custom mobos which they can choose to update or not.

The build you have is really nice so I don't really see the need to upgrade.

If I were you, I would just save up for a new CPU in 5 years. That build will last you quite a long time.

Solution
As others have said, you should not be worried about upgrading any time soon.

Most OEMs are also in NO HURRY to add support for new CPUs to their existing motherboards. They want you to buy a new machine from them, not a part direct from Newegg. So I would say the chances of them adding support for Ivy Bridge are pretty slim, unless they're caught with an extra supply of motherboards that they want to use up. Which is also fairly unlikely, since they'll still be selling Sandy Bridge machines years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.