Help me set up network printer?

August 19, 2004 1:40:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have two systems:

1) ASUS P4B533 MOBO - Intel 2.4 CPU - XP (SP1)
Machine ID = SYSTEM 1; Group = MSHOME
2) ASUS P4B533 MOBO - Intel 2.0 CPU - W98
Machine ID = SYSTEM 2; Group = MSHOME

They each have on-board Ethernet and have cat-5 connection to a D-Link
router, and then to a modem and then to a cable-connection. Internet
works fine from both systems.

I have a HP950 MFC Printer connect to USB on system 2.

I have installed printer software & drivers on both systems, and
did so by connecting the printer to USB on each system one at a time
to (1) do the install and (2) test the printer. Both scenarios worked
and still do.

Now, obviously, I would like to set my 2 systems up so that I can
print on the XP-connected printer from both systems without manually
switching the cabling each time. I hope the router will enable this.

I have tried everything under the sun, all to no avail. Since it
really doesn't matter to which system the printer is connected, I have
tried it both ways. That is, I have tried setting this up with the
printer connected as I just described, and vice-versa. The system to
which the printer is NOT connected simply will NOT recognize the
existence of the printer connected to the other system.

I have searched for helps on the web, but nothing suggested there
seems to help. Can someone guide me here? My appreciation would be
an understatement. Could the XP automatic firewall be blocking me?
If so, how do I kill it? And do I really want to?

Thank you

More about : set network printer

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 1:44:24 PM

woe@is.me wrote:

> I have two systems:
>
> 1) ASUS P4B533 MOBO - Intel 2.4 CPU - XP (SP1)
> Machine ID = SYSTEM 1; Group = MSHOME
> 2) ASUS P4B533 MOBO - Intel 2.0 CPU - W98
> Machine ID = SYSTEM 2; Group = MSHOME
>
> They each have on-board Ethernet and have cat-5 connection to a D-Link
> router, and then to a modem and then to a cable-connection. Internet
> works fine from both systems.
>
> I have a HP950 MFC Printer connect to USB on system 2.
>
> I have installed printer software & drivers on both systems, and
> did so by connecting the printer to USB on each system one at a time
> to (1) do the install and (2) test the printer. Both scenarios worked
> and still do.
>
> Now, obviously, I would like to set my 2 systems up so that I can
> print on the XP-connected printer from both systems without manually
> switching the cabling each time. I hope the router will enable this.
>
> I have tried everything under the sun, all to no avail. Since it
> really doesn't matter to which system the printer is connected, I have
> tried it both ways. That is, I have tried setting this up with the
> printer connected as I just described, and vice-versa. The system to
> which the printer is NOT connected simply will NOT recognize the
> existence of the printer connected to the other system.
>
> I have searched for helps on the web, but nothing suggested there
> seems to help. Can someone guide me here? My appreciation would be
> an understatement. Could the XP automatic firewall be blocking me?
> If so, how do I kill it? And do I really want to?
>
> Thank you

umm...yeah. you need to SHARE the printer on one of the systems, then
browse to the other machine (start, run, "\\system1" or whatever the
computer name is). right-click the printer and install. or open, I think
that might work too.

basically, your print driver is pointed at the wrong location.

Eric
!