Sign in with
Your question

Is the 1100t discontinued is AM3 hexacore support done?

Last response: in CPUs
February 29, 2012 2:47:51 AM

Do I need to upgrade to get a 6core AMD that is 3.0gz and above or will amd have a 32nm for am3 in the near future? I dont want to go am3+ just yet and if that is my only choice this amd fan-boy for 10 years is going Intel.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 29, 2012 2:54:55 AM

AM3 is done and dead, none of the Athlon II/Phenom II processors are in production anymore and inventory is quickly selling out. There are also no known plans for 32nm parts to be produced for AM3, it's all AM3+ and FM1 now. Socket FM2 will be out later this year to replace FM1.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
February 29, 2012 3:04:12 AM

Yep, pretty much discontinued. Unless you want to continue to wait for the possibility of more showing up in stock... somewhere...

Global Foundries has mostly likely shut down the production lines of Phenom in order to retool them for future CPUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 29, 2012 4:01:34 AM

AM3 is at the end of the line, nothing more coming out for that.

It's not really guaranteed that AM3+ is going to do you much good either, since Bulldozer has really bellyflopped in performance so far.

I would wait and see what happens when Piledriver comes out later this year before you make any drastic decisions.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
February 29, 2012 4:13:36 AM

Piledriver is expected to have a 10% performance improvement over bulldozer. If that holds up true then Piledriver will more or less be equal to the 1st generation Core i series.

The 2nd generation Sandy Bridge Core i series basically has 10% - 12% improved performance over the 1st gen Core i series. The 3rd gen Ivy Bridge Core i series is expected to be released in April. Performance gains over Sandy Bridge is somewhat of a wide range from 6% (my opinion) all the way up to a 20% improvement.

Having said the above Ivy Bridge's CPU performance would be roughly as lows as 16% faster to as much as 32% faster than Piledriver / 1st gen Core i.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 29, 2012 5:48:25 AM

jaguarskx said:
Piledriver is expected to have a 10% performance improvement over bulldozer. If that holds up true then Piledriver will more or less be equal to the 1st generation Core i series.

The 2nd generation Sandy Bridge Core i series basically has 10% - 12% improved performance over the 1st gen Core i series. The 3rd gen Ivy Bridge Core i series is expected to be released in April. Performance gains over Sandy Bridge is somewhat of a wide range from 6% (my opinion) all the way up to a 20% improvement.

Having said the above Ivy Bridge's CPU performance would be roughly as lows as 16% faster to as much as 32% faster than Piledriver / 1st gen Core i.

What I'm hoping for is that Piledriver will be a 10% improvement over what they THOUGHT Bulldozer was going to be. Since I don't think anyone was quite expecting what happened with Bulldozer. I'd be amazed if Piledriver competed head-to-head with Ivy Bridge, but hopefully at least it'll manage not to get blown away, and then make up the difference on price.

If that doesn't happen, then I'd expect a repeat of about 2008-09, where Intel realizes it has a wide advantage and jacks up the price because it doesn't need to compete. And of course there is a clear loser in that situation: You and me.
m
l
!