Your question

CPU & MOBO for first build

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Build
Last response: in CPUs
February 29, 2012 3:11:21 AM

All right, I'm looking to build my first computer and wanted a solid base that I can build more on later. My question is on a CPU/mobo combo. I'll be using the system for Autocad civil 3d and moderate gaming.

AMD and Intel fanboys take a deep breath and prepare an explanation for your advice please, "intel stomps amd" or "amd for life" does not help me.

Here is what I have it down to;

AMD build based on the FX-8120 with the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX so I can expand and upgrade later on as needed

Intel build with the i5-2500k with the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 for the same reason. I would plan on using the integrated graphics on the i5 until I have the money for a dedicated GPU.

It is between those two CPUs and I really like the features on the ASUS motherboard. If there are any other motherboards in that price range for either processor that you know of and would be good for upgrading please let me know about them. Thanks in advance.

More about : cpu mobo build

a b à CPUs
February 29, 2012 3:33:22 AM

I personally have an AMD system but I would suggest you lean more towards an intel build. If you look at the articles here on toms regarding gaming cpu hierarchy and system builders (they used an FX6100 for one of them) or even general FX cpu reviews you would find them lacking in the tests when put head to head with the sandy bridge cpus. That said, the AMD won't necessarily be a horrible decision and it will do what you want, but you can get more value for your money if you went with Intel at this point in time.

If you live near a microcenter I suggest you go there for the CPU and MOBO since they offer up to $50 off of all of their mobos when you buy one of the sandy bridge or FX cpus. The 2500k was at $179 last time I checked. Cheers and good luck on your build.

Quick edit: you would need to buy a gpu if you went with AM3+ Bulldozer since there is no built in graphics.
February 29, 2012 3:33:42 AM

do more research, cause to me this is kind of a easy one.
Related resources
February 29, 2012 3:39:07 AM

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I saw some benchmarks that said the i5 was a better performer but then I came across this.

Also for future programs wouldn't an 8 core for multi-core processing be more desirable?
February 29, 2012 3:42:33 AM

ohyouknow said:

Quick edit: you would need to buy a gpu if you went with AM3+ Bulldozer since there is no built in graphics.

Yeah I have a this lined up for a starter GPU with the AMD build. I've been trying to decide on this for a while.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b à CPUs
February 29, 2012 4:00:48 AM

Here is a performance chart.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150--8120-6100-an...

It seems that you really want to go with the AMD build. Go for it. It should suit your needs quite well.

But like I said, if you really go into the details the 2500k will shine especially if you get into more serious gaming performance.
a b à CPUs
February 29, 2012 4:02:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BZI2gyeh8

5 minute mark is where he covers the cpu requirement. he states that civil 3d will not take full advantage of multiple cores but then he says rendering time was cut by more than half from a dual core to a quad core with the same clock speed. So more cores might be better for this application
February 29, 2012 4:09:36 AM

ohyouknow said:
Here is a performance chart.

It seems that you really want to go with the AMD build. Go for it. It should suit your needs quite well.

But like I said, if you really go into the details the 2500k will shine especially if you get into more serious gaming performance.

I keep going back and forth on this, I'm just leaning toward the AMD as I write these. ask me a couple days ago and I would have asked about an i5-2500k build.

Right now, I just really like the look of that sabertooth motherboard.

As for the Autocad issue, I've heard that the program only uses 1 core and they hadn't announced any change to that, which would make the AMD fairly worthless.
February 29, 2012 4:12:45 AM

So maybe I should ask for suggestions on a motherboard for the i5. I really like the integrated graphics, overclock-ability and benchmark performance as well as the Smart Response tech, so if anyone could point me toward a good motherboard with several PCIe slots for expansion and the Z68 chipset then I will go with the intel build in an instant.

How does this look?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or else the ASRock I posted originally?
a b à CPUs
February 29, 2012 4:15:27 AM

Personally, I built an AMD system. I went through a similar process as you. I ended up using an older Athlon to go with my AM3+ board while I wait for the next revision of the Bulldozer arch (Piledriver). As far as gaming goes, everything I have read so far alludes to the fact that the GPU is gonna make or break the experience for the most part. Flip a coin if you must. I've done that before on decisions. *insert Harvey Dent image*
February 29, 2012 6:12:08 AM

Found a very solid looking Intel motherboard. Thanks guys.
!