Sign in with
Your question

New GPU in old system doesnt do much

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2011 5:55:55 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm building a new pc. My video card arrived about a week before the other stuff, so I put in my old system. I put my new card (GTX 560 TI FROZR OC) in my current system (AMD Athlon Dual Core 5000+, 2 GB Ram) and I guess I was rather dissappointed with the performance in Battlefield Bad Company 2. I wasn't expecting miracles, but the online play is still very choppy, even on low settings. I have the res at 1280 and video quality on low.

I wasn't expecting my new card to do a whole lot with this almost 4 year old rig I have now, but I was hoping that it run that game a little better.

Anyway, I have my i5 2500K and all the other parts in the mail so hopefully when I assemble the new monster it will be ready. I pre-ordered BF3.

Also, single player in BFBC2 is dramatically easier on my system than multiplayer. Why is that? Probably the same deal with BF3 right?

Thanks

More about : gpu system doesnt

October 1, 2011 6:06:04 AM

Hmmm sounds like your cpu and possibly ram is bottlenecking your system hard. Multiplayer always has information leaving and coming, so you probably just don't have enough ram to cater for all that information so stuff is constantly being loaded and deloaded, slowing down your FPS in MP. Or your processor may just not be able to handle it anymore. Its old thats for sure
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2011 6:47:39 AM

That CPU simply can not keep up. Good upgrade you will notice a massive difference
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 1, 2011 8:32:44 AM

For now though feel free to max out all the graphics settings. You shouldn't see any performance hit because your card is being wasted by that processor.
October 1, 2011 7:49:50 PM

Yea thanks guys. I knew that the rest of my system would be a bottleneck, I just didn't know how much. This puts my mind at ease. I'll hold all judgement until my entire new pc arrives and I can really push my gpu.
!