Does it matter which PCIE 3.0 slot is used?

noobador

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm deciding on components for a system with no moving parts. The CPU heatsink is going to have to be ginormous, and I'm afraid it might block the first 1 or 2 PCI slots for most motherboards. This would be a big problem for the video card I'm hoping to cram in there.

As a remedy, I'm looking at other boards that have lower down PCIE 3.0 slots, like the:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH OR
MSI Z77A-G45

My question: Should I be able to install the PCIE 3.0 video card in any of the lower slots without issues?

I hope I haven't re-asked this question- I did do some googling, and looked at a couple of motherboard manuals but wasn't able to get a solid answer- I figured some of you probably know off the top of your head and can help steer me in the right direction!

Thanks for your help.

Solution
It is recommend to plug in the card in the primary PCIe slot which is often closest to the CPU.

If you put the card into the 2nd slot, your system may not recognize it and there will be nothing displayed on the monitor.

Also on some MB BIOS, the physical location of the primary slot can be configured too.
It is recommend to plug in the card in the primary PCIe slot which is often closest to the CPU.

If you put the card into the 2nd slot, your system may not recognize it and there will be nothing displayed on the monitor.

Also on some MB BIOS, the physical location of the primary slot can be configured too.

Solution

noobador

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
For anyone else looking, the Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H will work- like cin19 said, it seems to depend on the motherboard. From quick research, it looks like there will be only a slight performance hit from installing a card into the x8 slot instead of the x16 slot, but it isn't significant.