Sign in with
Your question

New router setup help

Last response: in Networking
December 27, 2010 3:21:22 PM

Hi, I just bought a NetGear WNDR3700 router and have run into a problem. How can this be connected if the house does not have any ethernet ports? I've tried looking for a sort of phone jack to ethernet adapter but I have not been able to find any.

Right now, the houses network is hooked up by a phone wire coming from the wall to a 2Wire wireless router at the computer. Then an ethernet cable running from the router to the computer.

What needs to be done in order to have the new router connected if there are no ethernet ports in the house?

Thanks

More about : router setup

Anonymous
December 27, 2010 3:44:53 PM

WNDR3700 is a cable router primarily designed to connect to the ethernet port of a cable modem-- your present setup is DSL. If you mean to replace the 2Wire unit you will need to swap the WNDR3700 for a DSL router.
December 27, 2010 4:13:38 PM

Quote:
WNDR3700 is a cable router primarily designed to connect to the ethernet port of a cable modem-- your present setup is DSL. If you mean to replace the 2Wire unit you will need to swap the WNDR3700 for a DSL router.

Would you have any suggestions to a wireless DSL router that has high bandwidth, and is used for online gaming such as World of Warcraft and Call of Duty, and has quick download speeds. (current download speeds aprox. 500 Kbps)
Related resources
Anonymous
December 27, 2010 4:15:48 PM

No, my router was supplied by ISP and most of the others I have, I've found dumped in the street so I'm not up on the latest models.

Read some reviews.
December 27, 2010 4:17:09 PM

you could also connect the WAN/Internet port of the new router to the 2wire LAN port.

However you need to change the LAN IP of the new router to 192.168.254.1 so it will not interfere with the 2wire IP.

Other Option is you also could buy an approved DSL modem. Get the DSL modem info from your ISP or their website.
December 27, 2010 4:23:00 PM

Emerald said:
you could also connect the WAN/Internet port of the new router to the 2wire LAN port.

However you need to change the LAN IP of the new router to 192.168.254.1 so it will not interfere with the 2wire IP.

Other Option is you also could buy an approved DSL modem. Get the DSL modem info from your ISP or their website.

So, if I went with hooking the WNDR3700 to my old router using the LAN port with ethernet would I still reap all the performance from the WNDR3700? Or would it be bogged down from the old router?
Anonymous
December 27, 2010 4:24:25 PM

I think you've answered the question.

Buy the right router and save complications too.
December 27, 2010 7:11:46 PM

Emerald said:

Would the NetGear WNDR3700 and a Motorola Wi-Fi Business Router Model 3347 work in harmony? By just running the phone wire to the 3347 Modem, then ethernet to the WNDR3700, then ethernet to the computer for ATT DSL?

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?wtSlotC...

Anonymous
December 27, 2010 7:41:40 PM

When you are in a hole, stop digging.

I really don't think adding a second router makes any sense.

I think I would go back to the 2Wire unit and try to figure out whether it is inherently slow or just not set up correctly.

You might try to optimise reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
December 27, 2010 11:31:48 PM

If I remember right, you can set up the 2wire to act as a modem only. Cannot remember if it is called pass through or bridge mode.

look for the manual online.
December 28, 2010 1:17:41 PM

Quote:
When you are in a hole, stop digging.

I really don't think adding a second router makes any sense.

I think I would go back to the 2Wire unit and try to figure out whether it is inherently slow or just not set up correctly.

You might try to optimise reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

The reason the existing 2Wire router is being replaced is because of a lack of overall bandwidth. There is usually one computer wired to it through ethernet, a desktop running off WIFI, a Laptop off WIFI, and 2 iPhones through WIFI.

When just one friend comes over and brings their laptop it sets the router over the edge and the internet crashes temporarily.

So that is why there is being a new router being installed but the WNDR3700 is being returned and something appropriate to DSL is being its replacement.
Anonymous
December 29, 2010 8:06:22 AM

Yeah, the right solution. The dealer should have asked you originally whether you needed a device for cable or DSL -- in the UK where I live the vast majority of routers sold are for DSL and it would be unusual to want a cable version.
!