Strange Problem

stedgyson

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Recently replaced a suspected broken motherboard ASUS M4A78VM with an ASUS M4A78L-M and I can't get the machine to boot....

Power button will switch the machine on, but not off. Breadboarding in case of case shortage.

No video signal. No BIOS beeps. Case speaker attached, nothing else but the case fan attached because it powers down itself after a few seconds otherwise. One memory module in Dimm_A1 slot.

This is my first time replacing a mobo I should probably mention, I have read the specifications on both mobos and read the guide on this forum as well a trawling through similar posts.

Tried 3 different modules, a different CMOS battery, reset CMOS with the jumper, different PSU, checked the CPU is compatible with the new board and it is.

Really stumped with this one! Given that the power switch will turn on and not off, I feel like that is a big giveaway but I don't know as to what it is giving away. Could any of you guys help me with this one?

Cheers

stedgyson

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Also I have reseated the CPU a couple of times. It can only go in one way though and it fit in nice and securely.

Does anyone know what handles the "hold in power to turn off" part of things? And for the speakers to not even beep what would be failing before that point?