Sign in with
Your question
Closed

General building questions

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2011 4:48:50 PM

Got a few questions.

First I 'm planning on waiting/saving for ivy bridge cpu but I am buying parts when I can for a fresh build.
I just recently got a 4 four set of gskill sniper ram @ 1600 speed through black friday for only 29 bucks a pair for 16a gigs total, was wondering if that was smart or not. I wont be overclocking the ram.

2nd I am wondering if the asrock professional mobo will suffice for ivy bridge if I buy it before intel's release, it has twp pci 3.0s with z68chipset

Last I want to take advantage for ssd caching tech from the z68 and was just going to get a 604 gih ssd and the biggest hard drive I can afford, does the rpm's matter when it comes to that?

Thanks in advance. Ah last (for real this time) when is 6004 series ncidia and 7000 amd coming out/

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 27, 2011 5:10:28 PM

In general you should wait on purchasing parts until you are ready to build (though the steal of the 1600 ram sounds like a good call!).

Things safe to buy:
Case (get something roomey and easy to work in on sale; no built in power supply!)
Ram (you already got it, but test to make sure it works. My 16GB 4x4 kit worked fine for 2 weeks before showing signs of problems, make sure the warranty is good until after IB comes out otherwise you just bought bricks instead of sticks. Let a friend borrow them for a few weeks to properly burn them in)
Power Supply (~600W for single GPU, 700W for xFire, or 750+W for SLi, but keep in mind we do not know exactly what the power requirements will be for the new cards coming out)
CD/DVD/Blue Ray player/burner (no new disc formats are coming out, so if you find a good sale then jump on it!)
Fans, Coolers, and Accessories (we know that IB will be LGA1155, so any 1155 coolers on sale will be a good deal. Case fan tech isnt going anywhere fast, so those are a safe bet so long as they fit your case)

Things not to buy until later:
Processor (not out yet anyways)
Mobo (prices will depreciate, plus we do not know exactly how compatable IB will be with current gen boards. There will be new chipsets released with IB, and some of them may be a better choice. Again, even if you end up buying a z68 board it will be cheaper then when it is 'old' than it is now)
GPU (by the time IB is out there will be new offerings from nVidia and AMD, so wait)

Hope it helps! Enjoy :) 
November 27, 2011 7:36:09 PM

CaedenV said:
In general you should wait on purchasing parts until you are ready to build (though the steal of the 1600 ram sounds like a good call!).

Things safe to buy:
Case (get something roomey and easy to work in on sale; no built in power supply!)
Ram (you already got it, but test to make sure it works. My 16GB 4x4 kit worked fine for 2 weeks before showing signs of problems, make sure the warranty is good until after IB comes out otherwise you just bought bricks instead of sticks. Let a friend borrow them for a few weeks to properly burn them in)
Power Supply (~600W for single GPU, 700W for xFire, or 750+W for SLi, but keep in mind we do not know exactly what the power requirements will be for the new cards coming out)
CD/DVD/Blue Ray player/burner (no new disc formats are coming out, so if you find a good sale then jump on it!)
Fans, Coolers, and Accessories (we know that IB will be LGA1155, so any 1155 coolers on sale will be a good deal. Case fan tech isnt going anywhere fast, so those are a safe bet so long as they fit your case)

Mobo (prices will depreciate, plus we do not know exactly how compatable IB will be with current gen boards. There will be new chipsets released with IB, and some of them may be a better choice. Again, even if you end up buying a z68 board it will be cheaper then when it is 'old' than it is now)
GPU (by the time IB is out there will be n
ew offerings from nVidia and AMD, so wait)

Thanks for the fast response. I forgot to mention that for my current system I already bought psu, corsair ax850 and a case haf 942 everything else I know I have to wait until IB. And ya I figured that 29for dollars is as low as it may get for decent brand/spreaders I remember for my current system I bought some corsairs ddr2s for 35ish back when ddr3 was new. Now the same pair is like 150 lol
Score
Related resources
December 5, 2011 2:44:25 AM

CaedenV said:

Things safe to buy:

GPU (by the time IB is out there will be new offerings from nVidia and AMD, so wait)

well my PC crapped out on me. I had it turned off while on thxgiving vacation. Now i get the memory module beep code. Usually after blowing out the air with an air-can it works. So i might have to just sell some of my PC parts and buy early lol...I think I'm just going to get the i5-2500k and an asrock mobo. Was curious on why it's so cheap in price. You think it's suitable?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
December 7, 2011 2:46:53 PM

Best answer selected by paidbyhalf13.
Score
!