Sign in with
Your question

Memory upgrade on HP Probook from 4gb to 8gb

Last response: in Memory
January 4, 2013 8:57:14 PM

I have HP Probook 6450b Core i5 processor laptop that doesn't like 8gb memory upgrade. I bought the right kind with right speed and BIOS shows the right memory installed but it gets stuck at "starting windows" screen. I upgraded the BIOS to latest version and hard drive is new....if i put the older 4gb (2x2) chips back in there, it boots just fine. Memory was new and never even used.

I think some setting has to be changed but i looked everywhere and even changed the quickboot to normal boot but that didnt help either. Safe mode doesnt work either.

Any other ideas? Can i try some other setting or change something that'll make it work. Thanks
January 4, 2013 8:58:40 PM

Memory model i am using

Model: CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9
Type: 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
Capacity: 8 GB (2x4GB)
Speed: DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10600)
m
l
January 4, 2013 9:47:10 PM

So one more thing i noticed is that it doesn't take 1 - 4gb chip at any given time. It doesnt even show the BIOS screen unless i install both 4gb chips and then it shows 8gb in BIOS but gets stuck at "starting windows"
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2013 6:39:37 PM

I am having the exact same issue right now with the 4gb to the same 8gb(Corsair) kit you have. With 2x4gb installed, I get a Windows Error Recovery, but I reinstalled the 2x2gb that were original and no problems at all. Another odd thing that I experienced was that I had bought the same 2x4gb kit three weeks ago, installed it, and it ran fine for two weeks. Then, I was running a calculation and my notebook froze. Eventually, restarted it with the former 2x4gb and everything was fine. I thought it was related to the RAM, so I got a replacement and now my computer won't load Windows with the 2X4gb kit installed, but it runs fine with the 2x2gb. !?
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:22:45 PM

have you check the memory voltage? maybe it's related? :-/
m
l
January 15, 2013 3:19:25 PM

Yes, I tried one RAM card at a time as well and it won't even get to the splash screen. Also, I have an HP G62-400 CTO and the BIOS won't even let me get to the RAM voltages as far as I know. My BIOS does not even show an advanced tab. One other possibility, I have a dying battery, it doesn't hold a charge nearly as long as it used to and fails the system diagnostic battery test. Could this affect the installation of new hardware as well? I know that I am on AC power when I am doing all of this, but could the new hardware plus the battery failure cause the system diagnostic to fail and hang so that windows can't load?
m
l
June 24, 2013 12:34:05 AM

Hi

I have the same issue here. Did someone find a solution for this?

Regards Martin
m
l
!