Memory upgrade on HP Probook from 4gb to 8gb

I have HP Probook 6450b Core i5 processor laptop that doesn't like 8gb memory upgrade. I bought the right kind with right speed and BIOS shows the right memory installed but it gets stuck at "starting windows" screen. I upgraded the BIOS to latest version and hard drive is new....if i put the older 4gb (2x2) chips back in there, it boots just fine. Memory was new and never even used.

I think some setting has to be changed but i looked everywhere and even changed the quickboot to normal boot but that didnt help either. Safe mode doesnt work either.

Any other ideas? Can i try some other setting or change something that'll make it work. Thanks
Reply to rm1977
9 answers Last reply
More about memory upgrade probook
  1. Memory model i am using

Model: CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9
    Type: 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
    Capacity: 8 GB (2x4GB)
    Speed: DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10600)
    Reply to rm1977
  2. So one more thing i noticed is that it doesn't take 1 - 4gb chip at any given time. It doesnt even show the BIOS screen unless i install both 4gb chips and then it shows 8gb in BIOS but gets stuck at "starting windows"
    Reply to rm1977
  3. I am having the exact same issue right now with the 4gb to the same 8gb(Corsair) kit you have. With 2x4gb installed, I get a Windows Error Recovery, but I reinstalled the 2x2gb that were original and no problems at all. Another odd thing that I experienced was that I had bought the same 2x4gb kit three weeks ago, installed it, and it ran fine for two weeks. Then, I was running a calculation and my notebook froze. Eventually, restarted it with the former 2x4gb and everything was fine. I thought it was related to the RAM, so I got a replacement and now my computer won't load Windows with the 2X4gb kit installed, but it runs fine with the 2x2gb. !?
    Reply to chem10
  4. have you check the memory voltage? maybe it's related? :-/
    Reply to kovzone
  5. Yes, I tried one RAM card at a time as well and it won't even get to the splash screen. Also, I have an HP G62-400 CTO and the BIOS won't even let me get to the RAM voltages as far as I know. My BIOS does not even show an advanced tab. One other possibility, I have a dying battery, it doesn't hold a charge nearly as long as it used to and fails the system diagnostic battery test. Could this affect the installation of new hardware as well? I know that I am on AC power when I am doing all of this, but could the new hardware plus the battery failure cause the system diagnostic to fail and hang so that windows can't load?
    Reply to chem10
  6. Hi

I have the same issue here. Did someone find a solution for this?

Regards Martin
    Reply to mabad
  7. Hi again

It got the memory modules replaced and it's working now. I'm using these ones:

http://www.corsair.com/cmso8gx3m2a1333c9.html

Regards
    Martin
    Reply to mabad
  8. For those that are still wanting to do this, I have discovered that this HP is very fussy regrading RAM upgrades. I tried a couple of RAM manufacturers without success. I contacted HP and they said CT51264BF160B, 4GB 1600MHZ DDR3 SO-DIMM (LAPTOP) DUAL RANK. I did a quick search on Google, and came across the Crucial website and found these:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct51264bf160b

If you are in South Africa, I bought them here:

http://www.comx.co.za/CT51264BF160B-Crucial-4GB-DDR3-PC3-12800-Unbuffered-Buy-p-107696.php

I got them yesterday, popped them in last night and Windows booted up perfectly. It was true plug n play experience.
    Reply to taurusalmighty
  9. rm1977 said:
    I have HP Probook 6450b Core i5 processor laptop that doesn't like 8gb memory upgrade. I bought the right kind with right speed and BIOS shows the right memory installed but it gets stuck at "starting windows" screen. I upgraded the BIOS to latest version and hard drive is new....if i put the older 4gb (2x2) chips back in there, it boots just fine. Memory was new and never even used.

I think some setting has to be changed but i looked everywhere and even changed the quickboot to normal boot but that didnt help either. Safe mode doesnt work either.

Any other ideas? Can i try some other setting or change something that'll make it work. Thanks

Hello, you require the DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz 200-pin SODIMM
    Reply to BusterGut
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Memory Hewlett Packard Probook Memory Upgrade