Sign in with
Your question

AsRock Motherboard refuses to detect HDD

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2013 9:13:59 PM

I've just put together my first computer and I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with it. When I had everything plugged in correctly, including the hard drive, and turned the computer and monitor on, the screen would display only the error "reboot and select proper boot device."
Then, I unplugged the SATA cable from the hard drive, and that error disappeared for some reason, and the computer entered into ASRock's UEFI setup utility. The UEFI detects my processor and RAM. It doesn't detect the hard drive (because it's unplugged right now) but I have no way of knowing whether it detects it when it is actually plugged in as it refuses to enter UEFI at that point.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have no idea what could be wrong. I don't think it's the hard drive itself because I tried plugging in an SSD and the motherboard doesn't detect that either; the same error pops up about the boot device. So I guess it must be either the SATA ports on the motherboard, or the motherboard itself? Or perhaps I have to change some settings in the UEFI? If anyone knows what is wrong I'd really appreciate the help.

My computer specs:
motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
processor: Intel Core i7 3770k ivy bridge
RAM: 16gb (4x4) G. Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333
power supply: Corsair CX430w
case: Rosewill Redbone U3 Steel ATX Mid Tower
a c 146 V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 9:52:22 PM

You'll need to go into BIOS to set your boot drive order. Make sure your hard Drive and optical drive are connected, data and power cables. Turn on the computer and rapidly hit either F2 or Delete until you are in BIOS (shouldn't hurt if you keep hitting the key after entering BIOS, it'll just beep at you). From there, find the boot menu and you should see your SATA devices listed. You should be able to set your boot order then.
Hope it helps
January 4, 2013 9:59:46 PM

UEFI is BIOS.
Related resources
a c 146 V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 10:07:40 PM

Just checking and keeping it simple... to begin with.
Are the SSD and the HDD new 'bare' drives? Have you tried a different cable and different SATA ports?
January 4, 2013 10:13:38 PM

Yes both the HDD and SSD were purchased around two weeks ago and this is my first attempt at using them. I have two SATA 6gb/s cables and have tried both with either drives to no avail. I've also plugged each combination of the two into each SATA port. Same issue no matter which hard drive and port I use.
a c 146 V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 10:58:03 PM

WOW, I'm thinking at this point you're going to want to begin the RMA process with ASRock, they may have ideas or possibly a solution (short of returning hopefully). This is one beyond anything I've seen (or heard of) but a quick search lead to quite a few threads about motherboards killing hard drives (no ASRock boards that I saw) but nothing I read seemed to apply.
Again, wow.
January 4, 2013 11:13:29 PM

Alright thanks anyway
January 4, 2013 11:44:15 PM

I fixed it, almost. I updated the UEFI BIOS to the latest version, and it finally detected the drives. Now it still shows the error "reboot and select a proper boot device" but I can now go into UEFI and view the drives (hooray). Any idea what I do next though?
a c 146 V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 11:57:30 PM

Are you getting anything in your boot menu for drives?
February 19, 2014 6:14:52 AM

bolverk said:
I fixed it, almost. I updated the UEFI BIOS to the latest version, and it finally detected the drives. Now it still shows the error "reboot and select a proper boot device" but I can now go into UEFI and view the drives (hooray). Any idea what I do next though?

HI bolverk, did you manage to fix the issue?? I`m having the same problem with a X79 Extreme6 MoBo, but mine doesn`t recognice any sata unit (Asus Blue Ray or Asax Leopard Hunt II 256Gb SSD).

!