Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics Card or PC Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2011 12:00:45 PM

I am facing this crazy issue while gaming on my pc. Here are my PC specs below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vA7DIJ9R3k

AMD Athlon II X3 440 ( Unlocked to Phenom)
6 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB HDD
Corsair VX 450
XFX HD 5850 with Catalyst 11.8 drivers
MSI 785GM-E51 with updated BIOS

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, have reseated the card. This issue doesnt happen while watching movies/browsing. It only happens when I game.

I tried to swap the 5850 with my spare Sapphire Radeon 5670 and there are no issues. Is there something wrong with my gfx card? I am running out of options. Please advise.

More about : graphics card issue

a c 1401 U Graphics card
October 1, 2011 4:52:32 PM

Have you tested it with the CPU as a std X3?
If no issues with the spare card then looks like your card is going bad. Your PSU is on the small side but is a quality unit that should handle the card.
Score
October 1, 2011 9:16:14 PM

rolli59 said:
Have you tested it with the CPU as a std X3?
If no issues with the spare card then looks like your card is going bad. Your PSU is on the small side but is a quality unit that should handle the card.

Yes, I have tried with std X3, however the problem still persists. I am waiting to check the card on some other pc, and will then go for RMA.
Score
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
October 1, 2011 9:39:17 PM

Have you tried reinstlling direct x ? It has been my experience that when a graphics card goes bad it diplays color bars and artifacs but then again I don't have that much experience with bad cards. Have you tried tech support for the card especially since you have the you tube video a tech support person would be able to tell you right away if it is your card. Because it only happens when you are trying to play a game it sounds like it could be a power issue , the card it wanting more power to accelerate the graphics 3d and it's not getting it or the accelerating is not taking place because of a defect.
Score
October 2, 2011 6:59:33 AM

inzone said:
Have you tried reinstlling direct x ? It has been my experience that when a graphics card goes bad it diplays color bars and artifacs but then again I don't have that much experience with bad cards. Have you tried tech support for the card especially since you have the you tube video a tech support person would be able to tell you right away if it is your card. Because it only happens when you are trying to play a game it sounds like it could be a power issue , the card it wanting more power to accelerate the graphics 3d and it's not getting it or the accelerating is not taking place because of a defect.

Yes, i did try that, the tech support has asked me to try the card in a different machine, which I would be doing today. That would give a clearer picture if its a card or my pc issue. I hope its none, and its just the drivers. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Score
October 2, 2011 12:35:36 PM

Here are some more steps that I tried:

1) I first swapped my card and installed it in another system which has similar specs to mine including the same Motherboard. The card worked perfectly fine in that system, through which I concluded that the GFX card is good.
2) Then I changed my power supply with the one which worked perfectly on another system, however the flickering was still present, so I concluded that my Corsair PSU is fine.
3) Thereafter I swapped my RAM, which again did not resolve the issue, so it meant that the RAM is fine too.
4) Thereafter I swapped my CPU, which again did not make any difference.

So I guess its the Motherboard or to be precise the PCI-E slot. Please let me know if there is something else I can do to isolate the issue.

*************Update*************
I have found the solution/workaround to this. Though it looks ugly, but costs nothing, i am good with it. Please comment.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1269/20111003195054160...

Note:-I have the most latest BIOS as per MSI available BIOS versions.
Score
a c 1401 U Graphics card
October 2, 2011 1:05:20 PM

Looks like you have narrowed it down to the PCIe circuitry on the motherboard but would your spare card not have the same issue then?
Score
October 2, 2011 1:11:22 PM

rolli59 said:
Looks like you have narrowed it down to the PCIe circuitry on the motherboard but would your spare card not have the same issue then?

I guess, the spare card which is the 5670 requires lesser power, and is less in weight too. I suspect due to heavier weight of 5850 and the high power requirement as compared to the 5670, even if one or two pins lose contact with the slot during heavier loads, it causes the flickering. I have found that if I keep my cabinet horizontally, the flickering reduces. Thats what I am able to understand here.
Score

Best solution

a c 1401 U Graphics card
October 2, 2011 1:21:33 PM

Looks like you are on the right track then.
October 3, 2011 4:26:27 PM

Best answer selected by matrix0683.
Score
a c 1401 U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 4:43:42 PM

Nice support!
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 11:00:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!