Your question

RAM Problems

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Blue Screen
Last response: in Memory
January 4, 2013 11:01:11 PM

My computer that i have just built keeps getting BSOD errors relating to RAM problems after a couple of hours of being turned on. i decided to use memtest86+ on both sticks of RAM that i have installed and and errors occur on test number 5. I then tested each stick individually and in different slots, both sticks passed with no errors in both the available slots. This makes me wonder whether its the CPU, motherboard or RAM that is faulty. I have the bios settings at default and the RAM is running at the correct timings and voltage with XMP enabled. Any advice on what to try next? Thanks in advance.

I also had problems installing the latest drivers from EVGA, the installation froze and on another attempt when the computer restarted the screen just remained blank

The BSOD errors that commonly occur are:
Attempted write to readonly memory
Page fault in nonpage area
Multiple IRP complete requests

The two most recent BSOD's are:
DPC watchdog violation
PFN list corrupt

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU: Intel I7 3770K
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 16GB 1866 mhz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
SSD: OCZ Vector 128GB (x2 in RAID 0)
PSU: Corsair AX860

More about : ram problems

a b } Memory
January 5, 2013 12:07:28 AM

It would be easy if you had other sticks to test with. If you can't scrounge up something else to test with, I might try running the system with one stick for a while to see if it BSODs in that configuration. This could help to rule out the RAM.
a c 98 } Memory
January 5, 2013 12:08:07 AM

Clock your RAM back to 1600 and see if it stabilizes.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 6, 2013 12:34:31 PM

SchizTech said:
It would be easy if you had other sticks to test with. If you can't scrounge up something else to test with, I might try running the system with one stick for a while to see if it BSODs in that configuration. This could help to rule out the RAM.

Unfortunately I don't have any other available RAM to test with, I'll try running the system with one stick. Thanks for the suggestion :) 
January 6, 2013 12:39:48 PM

COLGeek said:
Clock your RAM back to 1600 and see if it stabilizes.

Thanks for the reply. I have set my RAM at 1600 and it passed memtest86 with both sticks installed. Would this suggest that the RAM is faulty or the memory controller on my CPU?
January 6, 2013 3:07:12 PM

Gparis94 said:
My computer that i have just built keeps getting BSOD errors relating to RAM problems after a couple of hours of being turned on. i decided to use memtest86+ on both sticks of RAM that i have installed and and errors occur on test number 5. I then tested each stick individually and in different slots, both sticks passed with no errors in both the available slots. This makes me wonder whether its the CPU, motherboard or RAM that is faulty. I have the bios settings at default and the RAM is running at the correct timings and voltage with XMP enabled. Any advice on what to try next? Thanks in advance.

I also had problems installing the latest drivers from EVGA, the installation froze and on another attempt when the computer restarted the screen just remained blank

The BSOD errors that commonly occur are:
Attempted write to readonly memory
Page fault in nonpage area
Multiple IRP complete requests

The two most recent BSOD's are:
DPC watchdog violation
PFN list corrupt

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU: Intel I7 3770K
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 16GB 1866 mhz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
SSD: OCZ Vector 128GB (x2 in RAID 0)
PSU: Corsair AX860

I've had to go back to windows 7, from windows 8. I was having exactly the same issue as you. I would get random reboots, ranom black screen crashes, random memory errors. The "page fault in none page area" and "watchdog violation" were common ones. The only way i could prevent it, was making sure i had no kind of overclock on my CPU and ram. That included XMP.

I was actually starting to think my mobo was dying. So in desperation i went back to windows 7. Bam!! all issues gone. I can overclock to 5ghz now with no stability issues at all. So in my case windows 8 was causing the errors. Maybe it's the same with you?
January 6, 2013 3:35:48 PM

mancsoulja said:
I've had to go back to windows 7, from windows 8. I was having exactly the same issue as you. I would get random reboots, ranom black screen crashes, random memory errors. The "page fault in none page area" and "watchdog violation" were common ones. The only way i could prevent it, was making sure i had no kind of overclock on my CPU and ram. That included XMP.

I was actually starting to think my mobo was dying. So in desperation i went back to windows 7. Bam!! all issues gone. I can overclock to 5ghz now with no stability issues at all. So in my case windows 8 was causing the errors. Maybe it's the same with you?

i had problems with overclocking my CPU as well. i was attempting speeds of 4.6ghz with voltages that should be stable with temperatures around 45C on Prime95. My computer wasn't crashing but Prime 95 was encountering errors and would stop running. I have just disabled XMP and changed the timings of my RAM from 9-9-9-27 (which was set as default) to 9-10-9-27. ive managed to pass memtest twice with these timings at 1866mhz and now trying it on windows memory diagnostic tool then Prime95 after.

As for the "Watchdog violation", this seems to be a problem for people running windows 8 on SSD's. It seems that all you need to do is update the firmware on your SSD. Although my SSD was only released a month ago so i thought that the firmware would've already been compatible with windows 8.

Heres a link to help with the "Watchdog violation" BSOD error http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2012/11/a-guide-to-blue...
January 6, 2013 3:45:48 PM

Gparis94 said:
i had problems with overclocking my CPU as well. i was attempting speeds of 4.6ghz with voltages that should be stable with temperatures around 45C on Prime95. My computer wasn't crashing but Prime 95 was encountering errors and would stop running. I have just disabled XMP and changed the timings of my RAM from 9-9-9-27 (which was set as default) to 9-10-9-27. ive managed to pass memtest twice with these timings at 1866mhz and now trying it on windows memory diagnostic tool then Prime95 after.

As for the "Watchdog violation", this seems to be a problem for people running windows 8 on SSD's. It seems that all you need to do is update the firmware on your SSD. Although my SSD was only released a month ago so i thought that the firmware would've already been compatible with windows 8.

Heres a link to help with the "Watchdog violation" BSOD error http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2012/11/a-guide-to-blue...

Oooh really, cause im running a 32GB SSD as my OS drive. Thanks for the info :)