First time builder

markanthonyhudson

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hi All- I'm a first time builder looking to build a powerful PC that will be able to handle android development. I need a build to handle the usage.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Below is what I am looking for- I put together a computer with all of the parts below from Tigerdirect, so any modifications or advice you could give would be great. Thanks!!!!

------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: Next 2 months

Budget Range: None set now.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Light gaming, Android development ( apps, phone software, tablet software, compiling.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Monitor, sound, Mouse.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: tigerdirect.com

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: No Preference

Overclocking:Interested

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure

Monitor Resolution: different resolutions

------------------------------------

CPU:Intel Core i5 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=567314&Sku=I69-2310

Motherboard: Asus P8H67-m pro
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=61763&Sku=YYD1-P8H67MPROCSMR3

Graphics Card: advise

Memory:still looking.

Power Supply: advise (650w)

Hard Drive: Not needed. But am looking at maybe 1tb

Case: NZXT GAMMA
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5310941&Sku=A406-1122

Monitor: Not needed. Single monitor setup.

CPU Cooling:still looking to per case specs.

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
CPU: good choice of a quad core, you may be able to get a better deal
$185

Motherboard: that good. just a little pricey, but its good.
$120

Graphics Card: For a graphics card, I would advise no more than a $130 card. A 6670, up to a 6790, anything more would be too much for "light gaming".
$110

Memory: I suggest 6-8GB of RAM (DDR3 of course) at 1333 or 1600 for your development.
$40

Power Supply: 650? If you say so... but you could go with 600... I would say that the one listed under "Frequently Bought Together" on your case page (if you scroll down a little) (here)
$80

Hard Drive: you said you didn't need one and that's good because they are pricey right now.
$0

Case: looks nice, and its at a good price too
$40

CPU Cooling: it has an included fan and so does your case......

total: $575
...feel free to upgrade things.... let me know how i did!

markanthonyhudson

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Thanks for the response. I am sure I can find some parts cheaper at different places like you mentioned. This is what I am looking at doing and wanted a 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th) looking at. I am really a memory hog and would most likely max out memory on it. On the power source. Most of what I read, I was leaning to a 650w but really thought was just a touch over what I wanted but was not sure. I am sure if having a bit more power could kill a machine (or parts)
On hard drives. I have 1-320GB WD, 2-80GB WD, 1-40GB WD (not sure if it still works thought) These will support me for a while till the 1TB go down in price. You caught my train of thought perfectly.

You told me everything I needed to know that you..

If others have insight. It would be grateful. I have always gone down to my local PC shop and have them build me what I needed. But after sending my dad to him and seeing my dad drop 3 grand on a machine that is IDENTICAL to my 4 year old machine (with a touch more memory and a smaller hard drive) I dropped him like a ..........

Again. Thank you..

markanthonyhudson

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Quick Thought. I forgot to mention that I will also have two cd-rewrite, one old 3.5 floppy disc. Would 600w still work. Thought hear is have some add ones take power.. i can not think it be a lot of power to really make a huge jump...

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

no problem. I suggest that you go ahead and get 8gb of ram and then upgrade it later

650psu is fine, and don't worry, it won't blow up just because its too much!! :sol: