Sign in with
Your question

First build help.

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2011 7:47:45 PM

Hello, first of all, I'm sorry if don't speak English properly, since I'm not a native English speaker.

I would like some help building a new PC for gaming. I'm gonna buy it soon (some days/a week) and I'm not sure if I'm doing it alright. This is what I've planned:

Case: Antec three hundred 60€
PSU: 700w Aerocool E80 Vent. 12cm 80+ 72€
CPU: i5 2500 3.3 GHZ 6MB 208€
Mobo: Asus P8H67-M LE B3 DDR3 PCX M-ATX 90€
Ram: Kingstom Hyperx Blu 4GB DDR3 1600 25€
Graphics: Evga GTX 570 HD PCX DDR5 HDMI-DPORT 340€
HDD: 500GB Sata 3 Seagate 7200 16MB 77€

Final price: ~875€

Should I get different components (Cheaper X and more expensive Y)? Am I missing something (other than the O.S, speakers, screen, keyboard and mouse)? Thanks :) 

More about : build

November 27, 2011 8:03:23 PM

I would avoid the Aerocool PSU. The power it provides is very dirty (though within minimum specs, barely.

The brands Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and XFX are where you should be looking for clean wattage.

If you are going to be using XP, get 2x 2gb sticks. If you are going to be using Windows 7 then get 2x 4GB sticks.

Also, get the 2500k and not the 2500.

Other than that, everything looks fine. It is pretty average for a gaming computer.

Check and see if the fans come with the case. You will want both side and top rear fans.

Also, if you have money to flush down the drain for marginal utility, you might consider the Hyper 212 processor cooler. At the very least you will need some processor cooler. Make sure one comes with the processor or buy one separately.
November 27, 2011 8:21:48 PM

Thanks, I'll look for a new PSU then. Anyway is Xilence a nice brand too? About the ram, isn't 2x4 GB equal to 8GB? I'm looking for 4GB :??:  And the fans, the cpu comes with a stock cooler (I'll probably get a new one after some time) and I'll ask if the fans come with the case. Thank you :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 27, 2011 11:38:15 PM

Xilence is a brand I haven't heard anyone recommend. The four that I listed are what everyone recommends.

The RAM.. Yes 2x4 is 8 GB which is ideal for Windows 7. 2x2GB is 4 GB which is ideal for Windows XP.
November 28, 2011 12:07:49 PM

Well I have planned a new build now, changed some things:

Case: Antec three hundred 60€
PSU: 700w Corsair GS Gaming 80+ 97€
CPU: i5 2500k 3.3 GHZ 6MB 209€
Mobo: Asus P8H67-M LE B3 DDR3 PCX M-ATX 90€
Ram: 6GB (3x2 GB) DDR3 1600 CL9 Corsair XMS3 25€
Graphics: Asus GTX 560Ti PCX DDR5 HDMI 219€
HDD: 500GB Sata 3 Seagate 7200 16MB 77€

Final price: ~808€

So, is everything alright now? I've decided 6 GB of ram instead of 8 because I've read it doesn't give a real difference (when it comes to gaming). Is everything gonna run nice now?
November 28, 2011 12:24:56 PM

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that motherboard doesn't have 3x RAM slots, just 2.

In any event, tt is best to just use the rule of thumb of 2x 2GB for XP and 2x 4GB for Windows 7 regardless of the motherboard, though.

The difference between 4 and 8 with Windows 7 should be noticeable much more than the difference between, say, 8 and 16. (4 x 4GB motherboard supporting, or 2x 8GB motherboard supporting).

In any event, the most important things are that all the sticks are of the exact same kind with no mixing and matching and that the RAM is enough that there is not a noticeable gain from adding more.

That sweet spot is the configurations I mentioned, either 2x2 or 2x4. Those are the most cost effective options for the most people most of the time.

It is such a good sweet spot that you might as well even set it in stone before you consider any other parts like what motherboard to use.

It only really makes sense to deviate from this when doing extreme cost cutting (impact to performance doesn't matter) or for extremely high end chipsets that are designed to use 3x RAM configurations instead of 2 or 4 slots.
November 28, 2011 12:43:13 PM

Well, then should I get this ram instead?: 8 GB ( 2X4 GB) DDR3 1600 CL9 Corsair Vengeance.

I've got a last question too, which one of these graphic cards is the best? And are they really different or about the same?

1GB CLUB 3D GTX560 TI PCX DDR5 HDMI
1GB ASUS GTX560 TI PCX DDR5 HDMI
1GB ASUS GTX560 TI PCX DDR5 HDMI DIRECTCU II
1GB EVGA GTX560 TI PCX DDR5 HDMI
1GB MSI GTX560 TI PCX DDR5 HDMI
November 28, 2011 1:23:08 PM

The video cards are all pretty much the same.

- Edit - That being said, the most cooling efficient model will be the one with the fan as far away from the exhaust port as possible. Many models put the fan in the middle of the card and this is worse for cooling than if they put it at the far end. If you can find two cards for the same price with one on the end and one in the middle, choose the one on the end. Either way the difference isn't major unless you are trying to optimize things. From the sound of it you should probably just take the cheapest one and not worry about this subject unless two are the same low price but have varying fan setups. I can't think of any good reason to take a mid fan over end fan setup if they are both the same price.

The RAM you selected is 1600 mhz which could cause stability problems. The safest bet is 1333. Preferably it would also be CL + some number lower than 9 too.

There is no good reason to go overboard with the CL numbers and the timings and stuff. Optimizers will worry about all those things (including stability issues).

The easiest thing to do with the least configuration issues that you just pop in and it is done is just to go with whatever 1333 RAM is the cheapest.
!