Sign in with
Your question

BSDs, error 43 on video card, replaced, more BSDs.

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2011 7:55:27 PM

System:

Asus P8P67 Evo
i5 2500k
2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengence
EVGA Nvidia 8800GT 'superclocked' edition
Thermaltake Purepower 500watt PSU
Windows 7 64bit
Westerdigital Raptor 80gb 10,000 SATA
Maxtor 7,200k 320gb 7,200k SATA

I recently upgraded to the listed mobo/ram/cpu a month ago. Everything was running fine, no crashes, playing BF3 and skyrim. In the last few days both started crashing with a blue screen of death. I removed the ASUS overclock, turned off turbo and tired prime95. It ran just fine at full load for 3 hours, but for some reason games are what seems to BSD it. Yesterday it was crashing in about 5-10min of play. After a crash the system rebooted and my screen was 640x480 and 16bit color with ||||:|||:||||:|||| like bars across the screen. In device manager the display adapter said error 43. From what I read this pretty much means the card is fried.

So I went out and got a MSI nvidia 560ti. That seemed to fix everything at first, but within 15 min of gaming (BF3 or skyrim) I got another BSD. This keeps happening.

I am not sure where to go from here.
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
November 27, 2011 8:09:03 PM

Get a good PSU and try it then. Try Corsair Builder 520 or something else made by Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, or XFX.
m
l
November 27, 2011 8:25:21 PM

Raiddinn said:
Get a good PSU and try it then. Try Corsair Builder 520 or something else made by Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, or XFX.

Could it be not enough wattage? I have been using this PSU for years with no problems until recently.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 27, 2011 8:53:04 PM

PSUs age. Every day they can provide some tiny amount less power than the day before. Eventually they will die as all machinery tends to.

That being said, both sufficient wattage and cleanliness of power delivery are potentially problems right now.

The Thermaltake brand often straight up lies and says their PSUs give out more wattage than they actually do, hoping people don't use power testers on them and don't read reviews by people that do use them.

They also have a habit of providing extremely dirty power. Computer parts function optimally with a consistent 12v, not 11.4v and not 12.6v. The Thermaltake brand provides power in that range that averages out to 12v on the +12v cords, but it varies widely.

Better brands tend to vary between 11.7v and 12.3v which is half the total variance.

When power delivery is widely variant (dirty), then components are maximally likely to get blown up for every minute of usage.

Your $20 PSU could potentially take down your motherboard and video card with it due to this dirty power delivery.

This is why people here stress that you need a good brand of PSU.

Without a good brand PSU you cannot rule out a power problem. Additionally, it is hard to diagnose a lot of power problems because they can show up in hundreds of different ways.

The best way to rule out power being a problem is by having a good brand PSU.
m
l
November 27, 2011 10:04:41 PM

Thanks everyone.

What brand and wattage should I be looking to buy? I run 2 HDs, might add a SSD, currently just the 560ti, how much more would a PSU that can handle SLI?
m
l
November 27, 2011 11:45:10 PM

2x 560TI = 700w, 800 if OCing
3x 560TI = 900w, 1100 if OCing
4x 560TI = 1100w, 1400w if OCing

Brands are the ones that I said, Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. If you need 1000w+, just make sure that the PSU has Seasonic written somewhere on it and you should be fine.

If you want a different brand, then at least go in with your eyes open by reading this first:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Why-99-Percent-o...
m
l
November 28, 2011 1:59:44 AM

Thanks for all the help so far, but I just installed a corsair TX 650M. I was able to play about 45 min of skyrim till BSOD.

Now what?

-edit- I used "whocrashed" and the error reported is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"
m
l
November 28, 2011 2:43:05 AM

I think that those errors may be the result of a driver problem, try an older or newer video card driver instead.

Are you overclocking?

- Edit - Also, the error could be because something installed before the upgrade is looking for something that existed before the upgrade. If newer drivers for the video card doesn't work you might try reinstalling windows and your programs.
m
l
November 28, 2011 11:51:21 PM

Thanks everyone. Turns out it was the ram, I pulled on stick and it worked fine, many hours gamed. I tried the stick I pulled, BSOD in 5 min. Time to see if crucial stands by their warranty.
m
l
!