Hey guys

Here's the deal:

I have a pretty old PC...

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3400+

RAM
1.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 198MHz (3-3-3-8)

Motherboard
NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL MS-7168

Graphics
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series (Packard Bell B.V.)

And, since I won't be able to get myself a new rig until next year, I've decided I'm going to (try to) upgrade this old dinossaur.

I've looked around for some 512MB RAM Modules on Amazon and found these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000097O5F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A1IE2T48Y49NKD

They seem to fulfil every spec that the current RAM I run have, so they should work... Right?

And secondly, the GPU. The motherboard I have has one PCI-E 1.0 16x slot, and I realise I can't go and get a high-end card and expect it to run.

I also realise that my CPU will also bottleneck anything too powerful.

So what are my options? I was thinking of a 5570 or a 5670, and was wondering if they would be compatible with my motherboard. I believe the 5000 series run on 2.1 PCI-E but I also believe 2.1 is backwards-compatible with 1.0.

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone who has been ina similar position can help me out here.

Simps

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Thank you very much for the advice, you might have just saved me from the frustration of buying one of the cards I mentioned and having it fail on me. Let's hope the RAM does work!

Once I mod the old thing I'll come back to tell any one in a similar situation whether it works or not.

Thanks again!