Sign in with
Your question

Is the MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo good for overclocking and SLI?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2013 2:09:24 AM

Ok so I'm currently looking into build my own PC. I want to build one that I wont have to upgrade for a while and if I do decide to I could just overclock my CPU or add another GPU. This is the first computer that I've ever tried building and I'm new to the computer building scene altogether.

These are the parts I've chosen so far:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge @ 3.4GHz
Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB
PSU: CORSAIR AX860 860W
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
SSD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB
HDD: I've yet to choose a HDD

I've read up on the compatibility of most of these parts and know that the motherboard has the right slot for my cpu, supports SLI, is good for my dual channel RAM and fits into my case but I'm not an expert at any of this and barely know anything about power supplies or overclocking and SLI. I'd just like some reassurance that all these parts are compatible and will be easy to overclock and add parts to later on.
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2013 4:53:17 AM

cheesytower1 said:
Ok so I'm currently looking into build my own PC. I want to build one that I wont have to upgrade for a while and if I do decide to I could just overclock my CPU or add another GPU. This is the first computer that I've ever tried building and I'm new to the computer building scene altogether.

These are the parts I've chosen so far:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge @ 3.4GHz
Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB
PSU: CORSAIR AX860 860W
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
SSD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB
HDD: I've yet to choose a HDD

I've read up on the compatibility of most of these parts and know that the motherboard has the right slot for my cpu, supports SLI, is good for my dual channel RAM and fits into my case but I'm not an expert at any of this and barely know anything about power supplies or overclocking and SLI. I'd just like some reassurance that all these parts are compatible and will be easy to overclock and add parts to later on.

Couple of suggestions:

For gaming 8gb of ram is more than enough, grab the 16gb only if you are going to do other things like rendering etc.

Go fot the gtx 670, it is basically within 5% of the 680 for $100 less

With the savings grab a good cpu cooler for the 3570k:

850w is a good investment if you plan to sli later, gives you plenty of juice to overclock as well.

Looks good.

m
l
January 5, 2013 5:04:22 AM

Your PSU choice is very good, 850w is plenty, even for SLI and overclocks and everything else. I have a very similar build and more than enough power, and my Corsair PSU has been nothing but reliable. As the above poster said, you don't need 16GB. Just need 8GB for games currently. You'll never need 32GB before your next rebuild so if you got 4 slots, stick with 2 x 4GB sticks and if you determine you really want 16GB, you still have the option.

Your MB choice is also solid. Good manufacturer, quality parts, fits all your needs. Everything looks compatible.

You'll definitely wanna get an aftermarket cooler for that i5, applied with high-quality aftermarket thermal paste. Those Ivy Bridges run hot, especially when overclocked. The stock cooler on it simply wont do the job.
m
l
!