Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Sempron 2200+ 'burnout'

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 29, 2012 3:55:20 PM

Recently i experienced an emergency thermeal shutdown, however temps were a cool 36 degrees c and upon touching the heatsink it was cool. After this it wouldn't boot (got a black screen, no POST either) and after many hours of investigating i got it to work again, but only at the speed of the core before multiplying it (usually 2.01ghz (223x9)) but now only running at 223mhz... it seems to have defaulted to a multiplier of 1, and my bios has no way what so ever of modifying the multiplier and it is also locked by the cpu (no hardware modding) if anyone knows how to sort it please help!

I've already reset the bios, with no luck, i have also tried it with only important components inserted. No luck either...
I'm getting an AMD Sempron 3000+ to replace this anyways, but it would be nice to know how i could repair it if need be. It's painful doing anything now as im running XP on a 223mhz processor and everything takes an eternity, so while the new CPU is on its way, i would like a somewhat faster current processor to use for a week... motherboard is asrock k7s41, with 1.5gb ram and 40gb HDD, graphics is a nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440SE. all bioses are up to date and correct drivers are installed.

This machine has been running almost non stop for about 6 years if that is of any help, may the CPU be dieing anway? The machine acts as a game server and i can run the server, but at very high latencies, and it takes a matter of about an hour to do anything :/ 

Thanks in advance! Matt

Best solution

February 29, 2012 4:12:07 PM

yeah, when you get your new cpu, that will tell you which part went bad (mobo or cpu). im betting the cpu died, as that does happen from time to time, but sadly, guess and check troubleshooting is the only way i know of to figure out those types of issues.
February 29, 2012 6:36:42 PM

guavasauce said:
yeah, when you get your new cpu, that will tell you which part went bad (mobo or cpu). im betting the cpu died, as that does happen from time to time, but sadly, guess and check troubleshooting is the only way i know of to figure out those types of issues.

It seems as my cpu is on its way out anyway, it's had more than its fair share of running time and it is noticably slower than it was before, and that is with defrags and suchlike to eliminate disk speed being the problem, and ram is still fine, luckily i somhow managed to disable thermal monitoring in the cpu (shorting a few pins) and that seems to have done the trick, but i doubt it will last very long now, since parts of it are packing in and th rest is soon to follow... hopefully the new cpu will do some good, and the entire thing will be upgraded to a new setup within a month before it dies completely once i get the funds :) 

if anyone cares to help and has Steam (pc gaming platform) feel free to join my community group, which is also what i am now using this machine as a server for (tf2 server) go to; http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ghastlygibusgamingcommunity and support the group!
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 29, 2012 7:14:24 PM

I figured that many from this era are pretty much dieing out even though it was over 6 years before most had given up their P3 builds. Somewhat amazed that the old Athlon socket A builds last this long, well outlasted socket 754 and most of the 939/940 by now while am2 is gradually dying off as well.

BTW upgrade the drive ;) 
Score
February 29, 2012 7:23:31 PM

nforce4max said:
I figured that many from this era are pretty much dieing out even though it was over 6 years before most had given up their P3 builds. Somewhat amazed that the old Athlon socket A builds last this long, well outlasted socket 754 and most of the 939/940 by now while am2 is gradually dying off as well.

BTW upgrade the drive ;) 

It's only a server, and for now i don't have the funds, it's not a file server so the HDD only gets used for software updates and stuff otherwise it's generally left idling away in its own corner of the case... Any good ideas on a good combo set up that's cheap? i've found this; yes it's a single core cpu, but the server is running fine on this old machine and has been for years :)  it's got room for improvements, sata and IDE for the old drive (no drive upgrade needed :p  ) and has four ram slots (2 x ddr2 slots and 2 x ddr3 slots) and comes with 4gb ram already :) 
Score
February 29, 2012 7:23:49 PM

Best answer selected by Matt_1.
Score
!