Any fixed line phone with bluetooth?

Last response: in Technologies
May 13, 2005 5:36:09 PM

Having a bluetooth headset is very convenient, but it would be nice to use
the headset with a stationary fixed line phone as well. Do you know of any
fixed line phones with bluetooth built-in ? Perferably a cheap one.....

Thanks

/Jens
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 7:57:45 PM

Jens P wrote:

> Having a bluetooth headset is very convenient, but it would be nice to use
> the headset with a stationary fixed line phone as well. Do you know of any
> fixed line phones with bluetooth built-in ? Perferably a cheap one.....

If you're in the US go to any Staples. The brand is Olympia.
<http://www.soundbug-us.com&gt;

Can't say much for it as a phone--pairing is clumsy and sound quality is not
always the greatest--but it does have Bluetooth.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

If you have a phone with a 2.5mm Headset KAck get the JABRA A-210 Bluetooth
Adapter. I have used with several cordless phones and a few Headset capable
Corded Phones EBAY for $49.99

"Jens P" <jens.pedersenXXXX@ericsson.com> wrote in message
news:D 62356$k4$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se...
> Having a bluetooth headset is very convenient, but it would be nice to use
> the headset with a stationary fixed line phone as well. Do you know of any
> fixed line phones with bluetooth built-in ? Perferably a cheap one.....
>
> Thanks
>
> /Jens

Related resources
May 25, 2005 1:32:07 AM

I think you can also buy them at Amazon for that price, much better than
buying through Ebay (where you never know what you're getting).

Do you get good reception that way? How close do you have to be to the
corded phone to get a good connection?

After pairing one's bluetooth headset to the A210, is the bluetooth headset
also still paired to one's cell phone? Or can most headsets only be paired
to one device at a time?

I'm also thinking of

"PDA Man" <pdaman@man.net> wrote in message
news:p pKdnWT95qJYhBXfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> If you have a phone with a 2.5mm Headset KAck get the JABRA A-210
Bluetooth
> Adapter. I have used with several cordless phones and a few Headset
capable
> Corded Phones EBAY for $49.99
>

> "Jens P" <jens.pedersenXXXX@ericsson.com> wrote in message
> news:D 62356$k4$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se...
> > Having a bluetooth headset is very convenient, but it would be nice to
use
> > the headset with a stationary fixed line phone as well. Do you know of
any
> > fixed line phones with bluetooth built-in ? Perferably a cheap one.....
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > /Jens

May 26, 2005 3:16:35 AM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 65kh902nqk@news4.newsguy.com...
> Jens P wrote:
>
> > Having a bluetooth headset is very convenient, but it would be nice to
use
> > the headset with a stationary fixed line phone as well. Do you know of
any
> > fixed line phones with bluetooth built-in ? Perferably a cheap one.....
>
> If you're in the US go to any Staples. The brand is Olympia.
> <http://www.soundbug-us.com&gt;
>
> Can't say much for it as a phone--pairing is clumsy and sound quality is
not
> always the greatest--but it does have Bluetooth.

I looked on the Staples web site, and didn't see it at all. Do most Staples
stores have it? (Usually a store's web site carries more items than are
stocked in the store. Is this the opposite?) I looked in an Office Depot
store today, and didn't see one. Next time I'm near a Staples I'll take a
look there.

I found it at a few places online, not many. The cheapest is, unusually,
direct from the manufacturer, about $109. Easier to return though, if bought
from a carry-home store, so I'll look in a Staples.

One question I have about it though, as I assume you have or had one of
these (Olympia CDP24201). With a bluetooth headset paired to this phone, if
the phone rings, can one answer it by pressing the answer button on the BT
headset? Or does one have to answer first from the phone handset or base?

Also, what if the same BT headset is paired to a BT cell phone and this
Olympia landline phone? If one of the two phone rings, will the headset
automatically know which of the two to be connected to, and be able to
answer the call? Later if the other phone rings, will the phone
automatically be connected to the one ringing now?

Thank you for the info.

BTW, there is another landline cordless phone out now that supports BT. One
by Uniden, ELBT585. (I see on Uniden website, another ELBT595. Looks just
the same though, I'm not sure of the difference.) Looks much cooler, like
a cell flip phone, and has more cell-like features. The drawback--VERY
EXPENSIVE. I saw it at Circuit City for more than $250!!
May 27, 2005 2:55:25 AM

I bought one of these last night from a Verizon booth in a Circuit City
store, also $49. (So I certainly would not buy one for that price from Ebay,
where it is usually non-returnable, might not be new even if advertised as
such, etc.) I will return it soon. (Glad I didn't buy it from Ebay.)

Does it work with the home cordless phone? Yes, it does. Not well though.

With the first cordless phone I tried it with, the sound was terrible, with
a lot of added noise. I tried all three switch settings, and none helped.
With the second phone I tried it with the sound was definitely much better
than the first, but still not good.

Besides, not very convenient. If I use the BT headset with my cell phone,
then the landline phone rings, and I want to use the cordless phone with
A210 adapter to BT headset, I have to turn off BT on the cell phone, in
order for the BT headset to connect to the A210. Later, when I wish to use
the BT headset with the cell phone again, I have to turn off the A210. Kind
of a hassle.

Other options for using a BT headset with a landline phone line, although
more expensive, might be better. Such as--the Olympia phone another poster
mentioned, or the GN Netcom GN 6210. (No time to explain that now. Look it
up.

"PDA Man" <pdaman@man.net> wrote in message
news:p pKdnWT95qJYhBXfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> If you have a phone with a 2.5mm Headset KAck get the JABRA A-210
Bluetooth
> Adapter. I have used with several cordless phones and a few Headset
capable
> Corded Phones EBAY for $49.99
>

> "Jens P" <jens.pedersenXXXX@ericsson.com> wrote in message
> news:D 62356$k4$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se...
> > Having a bluetooth headset is very convenient, but it would be nice to
use
> > the headset with a stationary fixed line phone as well. Do you know of
any
> > fixed line phones with bluetooth built-in ? Perferably a cheap one.....
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > /Jens

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 5:12:33 PM

Amazon has that Olympia CDP-24201 much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00028Z47...

-- -
cv

On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:16:35 -0700, "MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote:

>"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>news:D 65kh902nqk@news4.newsguy.com...
>> Jens P wrote:
>>
>> > Having a bluetooth headset is very convenient, but it would be nice to
>use
>> > the headset with a stationary fixed line phone as well. Do you know of
>any
>> > fixed line phones with bluetooth built-in ? Perferably a cheap one.....
>>
>> If you're in the US go to any Staples. The brand is Olympia.
>> <http://www.soundbug-us.com&gt;
>>
>> Can't say much for it as a phone--pairing is clumsy and sound quality is
>not
>> always the greatest--but it does have Bluetooth.
>
>I looked on the Staples web site, and didn't see it at all. Do most Staples
>stores have it? (Usually a store's web site carries more items than are
>stocked in the store. Is this the opposite?) I looked in an Office Depot
>store today, and didn't see one. Next time I'm near a Staples I'll take a
>look there.
>
>I found it at a few places online, not many. The cheapest is, unusually,
>direct from the manufacturer, about $109. Easier to return though, if bought
>from a carry-home store, so I'll look in a Staples.
>
>One question I have about it though, as I assume you have or had one of
>these (Olympia CDP24201). With a bluetooth headset paired to this phone, if
>the phone rings, can one answer it by pressing the answer button on the BT
>headset? Or does one have to answer first from the phone handset or base?
>
>Also, what if the same BT headset is paired to a BT cell phone and this
>Olympia landline phone? If one of the two phone rings, will the headset
>automatically know which of the two to be connected to, and be able to
>answer the call? Later if the other phone rings, will the phone
>automatically be connected to the one ringing now?
>
>Thank you for the info.
>
>BTW, there is another landline cordless phone out now that supports BT. One
>by Uniden, ELBT585. (I see on Uniden website, another ELBT595. Looks just
>the same though, I'm not sure of the difference.) Looks much cooler, like
>a cell flip phone, and has more cell-like features. The drawback--VERY
>EXPENSIVE. I saw it at Circuit City for more than $250!!

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:44:38 AM

Charles Vegman wrote:

> Amazon has that Olympia CDP-24201 much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00028Z47...

Thanks for the heads up--they have extra handsets for 30 bucks as well--I
just ordered a couple.

> -- -
> cv
>

> On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:16:35 -0700, "MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>news:D 65kh902nqk@news4.newsguy.com...

>>use
>>any
>>>
>>> If you're in the US go to any Staples. The brand is Olympia.
>>> <http://www.soundbug-us.com&gt;
>>>
>>> Can't say much for it as a phone--pairing is clumsy and sound quality is
>>not
>>> always the greatest--but it does have Bluetooth.
>>
>>I looked on the Staples web site, and didn't see it at all. Do most
>>Staples stores have it? (Usually a store's web site carries more items
>>than are stocked in the store. Is this the opposite?) I looked in an
>>Office Depot store today, and didn't see one. Next time I'm near a Staples
>>I'll take a look there.
>>
>>I found it at a few places online, not many. The cheapest is, unusually,
>>direct from the manufacturer, about $109. Easier to return though, if
>>bought from a carry-home store, so I'll look in a Staples.
>>
>>One question I have about it though, as I assume you have or had one of
>>these (Olympia CDP24201). With a bluetooth headset paired to this phone,
>>if the phone rings, can one answer it by pressing the answer button on the
>>BT headset? Or does one have to answer first from the phone handset or
>>base?
>>
>>Also, what if the same BT headset is paired to a BT cell phone and this
>>Olympia landline phone? If one of the two phone rings, will the headset
>>automatically know which of the two to be connected to, and be able to
>>answer the call? Later if the other phone rings, will the phone
>>automatically be connected to the one ringing now?
>>
>>Thank you for the info.
>>
>>BTW, there is another landline cordless phone out now that supports BT.
>>One
>>by Uniden, ELBT585. (I see on Uniden website, another ELBT595. Looks
>>just
>>the same though, I'm not sure of the difference.) Looks much cooler,
>>like a cell flip phone, and has more cell-like features. The
>>drawback--VERY EXPENSIVE. I saw it at Circuit City for more than $250!!

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
May 28, 2005 4:36:03 PM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 65kh902nqk@news4.newsguy.com...

> Can't say much for it as a phone--pairing is clumsy and sound quality is
not
> always the greatest--but it does have Bluetooth.

J.Clarke---have you been able to get your headset to pair to the Olympia at
all?

At Fry's Electronics last night I saw the CDP 24206. Similar to the 24201,
but also includes a dial-up modem in base, so that one could dial up to the
Internet via the modem in the CDP, connected to the PC via Bluetooth. (It
seems the 24206 isn't being produced any more, as it doesn't appear on the
Olympia web site. don't know why they discontinued it.) The price was
$189.95, marked down from $199.95. (I think it might have been a refurb or
customer return.) I only saw that one there, and no 24201.

Curious to try one of these right away, I bought it. If I like it, I'll buy
the 24201 from Amazon/Hello Direct, and return this one to Fry's. If I don't
like it, I'll just return this one to Fry's.

I haven't been able to get the CDP 24206 to pair with my Plantronics M2500
BT headset at all! I followed the directions carefully--pressed the Store
button on base and held it down until the 2nd beep, entered the passkey for
the headset (0000) on the base station keypad. Then I put the headset into
discoverable mode. (It was definitely in discoverable mode.) Then I pressed
the Store button on base again to initiate the search. One could hear the
beeps as it was searching, then finally the low-pitched beep indicating
failure. (And the headset remained in discoverable mode--if the pairing was
successful, it should have gone back to regular mode.)

I tried this several times, changed the placement of the headset during this
process, including right next to the base station on different sides. I
reset the base station to defaults following the directions to do that,
etc., etc. (BTW, before even starting the process, I turned off all other BT
devices, such as the BT radio on my cell phone, just for safety's sake, so
that the only BT devices turned on would be the headset and the CDP.)

I tried many times, never a successful pairing. Any idea what's up? You
write that pairing is "clumsy". Did you have to do any special tricks, not
mentioned in the manual, to get it to pair to your headset?
May 28, 2005 4:37:56 PM

Yes, I noticed that too. It's actually not direct from Amazon, but through
"Hello Direct". On the "Hello Direct" website the price is the same $69.95.
I don't know why they have it so much cheaper than anyone else. Perhaps they
have some stock they wish to clear out, below their cost.

At that price, it's really not much more than buying the A210 Jabra BT
adapter for non-Bluetooth phones, and if these CDP phones work, sounds like
it would be a much better option, and much cheaper than other options such
as the GN Netcom 6210.

news:D 7943b023es@news4.newsguy.com...

!