Compact Flash 8mb Speed

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 27, 2005 11:22:25 PM

Hello,
Thanks for your help.

If I shoot raw with a 350D, I will get around a 8mb file size. Speed is
not too importand, so I'd like to use a regular CF card.

Would anyone know how long the Canon 350D will take to write a raw file
to a CF?

I do not what to create a huge bottle neck, one shot a second would be
ok.

Thanks,
Jon
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:40:40 AM

"scubatv" <scubatv@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Thanks for your help.
>
> If I shoot raw with a 350D, I will get around a 8mb file size. Speed is
> not too importand, so I'd like to use a regular CF card.
>
> Would anyone know how long the Canon 350D will take to write a raw file
> to a CF?
>
> I do not what to create a huge bottle neck, one shot a second would be
> ok.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

See:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page12.asp
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:50:03 AM

Ok, I might have made a boo boo here.

After talking to Canon, the tech said, for wildlife photography, if you
are not interested in speed, any card will do.

Any card.

So, at egghead.com, I bought 2 Kingston 1gb CF/1024. Their lowest
quality/rated card for $113. not including a $30 rebate.
..
If I'm reading the charts right, it will take 2 seconds to write a raw
file to this card. That will certainly create a data bottle neck,
correct?

How long will I have to wait to take pictures between shots?

Sorry, for being so lame, I'm on the video side of photography and
these numbers don't seem to penetrate well.

Thanks,
Jon
Related resources
April 28, 2005 3:26:36 PM

In article <1114699803.324285.11890@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
scubatv@yahoo.com says...
> How long will I have to wait to take pictures between shots?
>
> Sorry, for being so lame, I'm on the video side of photography and
> these numbers don't seem to penetrate well.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

It depends on the camera (buffer size) and how fast you shoot.

I use slow memory in a Canon 300D and after 3 or 4 raw shots in continous
mode I might have to wait for the buffer to empty.

Other cameras have different size buffers and can do more or less depending
on buffer size.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"scubatv" <scubatv@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Thanks for your help.
>
> If I shoot raw with a 350D, I will get around a 8mb file size. Speed is
> not too importand, so I'd like to use a regular CF card.
>
> Would anyone know how long the Canon 350D will take to write a raw file
> to a CF?

Handy speed comparision table:
April 28, 2005 5:37:09 PM

"Gizmo" <Gizmo@home.now> wrote in message

> "scubatv" <scubatv@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> If I shoot raw with a 350D, I will get around a 8mb file size. Speed is
>> not too importand, so I'd like to use a regular CF card.
>>
>> Would anyone know how long the Canon 350D will take to write a raw file
>> to a CF?
>
> Handy speed comparision table:

And this time with the link .... D'oh !!
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...
!