Sound Card for Z906

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fes69

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy the Z906 system from Logitech.
I'm very confused about what sound card to get and with what exact cables ?
I'm mixing optical digital and RCA up and can't seem to find answers !

Budget is 120-170 $

Thanks

Well, it looks like it hooks up via optical cable, so most any soundcard will do. I do note that by using Dolby/DTS formats you do take an audio quality hit though, so if they can connect via analog, then do that instead [might need to do a TRS to RCA conversion in that case though...]

In that price range, either the ASUS Xonar D2(X), HT Omega Claro+, and Auzentech Meridian 2G are your best options. Note that the digital output on some of these cards uses Coaxial instead of Optical, but the cards usually ship with a converter to Optical [I know this is the case with ASUS; not sure about the other two].

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Do not use an optical cable with those speakers, just don't. One of their really nice features that they have 5.1 direct analog inputs.

To get surround in 5.1 over optical you need to use DDL or DTS-connect encoding. Which while it works, it also degrades the audio, and uses more of your CPU.

The sound cards you should consider are the x-fi titanium; xonar dx,ds, d1, or dg.

Anything much more expensive is overkill, and if you're using optical you're pretty much bypassing your sound card.

Make sure you get a soundcard with 5.1 (or 7.1) analog out. Many of the highend cards are made for headphones and lack the proper 5.1 connections.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I only found it by going to newegg and looking at the image of the sub. I do the same thing for receivers when I'm looking for multi channel inputs. I wish they'd list it.

tinnitus

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
5.1 speakers are made for movies or games, you can hear music also, but music is on 2.0 channels, if you want music on 5.1 channels you'll need to use DDL or DTS connect, if you watch mkv movies, mostly of them are on dts 1536kbps or dolby 640kbps, both are supported on toslink bandwidth, games can sound better via analog connetion but unless you are an analog fan you don't gonna care about it.

if you want the maximum quality on analog output and spend more money you can go for HT OMEGA Claro Halo XT:

haloxt.jpg

or if you find, an ASUS Xonar H6 for ASUS Essence ST/Xonar HDAV1.3, it might be discontinued.

Fes69

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Alright, so I got the X-Fi Titanium HD
It's plugged to the Z906 via Optical.
The difference from my onboard /X540 is unbelievable !

MagicPants, you say not to use Optical. I'm ready to change if it gives me better quality. But how should I plug them to the Titanium HD and with what exact cables ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.