Windows Home Server & DHCP

callowadmin

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hello,

I recently installed home server for a small business of 5 people. Each computer is handing out it's own apipa (169.xxx.xxx.xxx) IP address because I am unable to configure DHCP (or DNS) in Home Server. I can't even configure a static IP in home server so I can then go to each machine and assign a static IP to connect the machines. My question is this: is there somewhere in the Home Server interface where there is an option to configure this? The worst part of the Apipa is that the 169 addresses being handed out are on different subnets (i.e. 169.254.50.1, 169.254.3.1). What is the deal with Home Server? It seems useless if you can't connect devices.

This network is a pure LAN with no router and a 8 port switch.

Thanks.

callowadmin

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I actually saw that article and read it before posting, but the problem is there is nowhere in the WHS interface to access the firewall. At least not that I see. I have to log in through a console via another computer since the server is a stand alone unit with no monitor, keyboard, interface, etc. How are people accessing the interface? The only options I see when logging in with the software is to configure a backup, install anti virus, etc. I see nothing for DHCP, DNS, or Firewalls. Anyone?
Thanks.

riser

Illustrious
Windows Home Server 2008? Or older?

You have to add the 'roles' and features to the server. You will need to add the DNS role, the DHCP role, and any others. Once you add the role (Programs, under Control Panel or use the Configure Your Server screen) you can then configure DHCP.

This requires a higher technical level than using a regular Windows workstation so things will be different and more complex.

callowadmin

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks Riser. I understand how to add DNS and DHCP and configure them in Server 2003 so I am not worried about the technical part, but I can't find the control panel or area to do it in Home Server. Home Server has no monitor or keyboard; I am accessing it via another computer and the software built in. Within that software, I do not see anywhere to assign roles. That is what I am looking for...if anyone knows where to find it please advise. I feel like I looked everywhere in this console. Oh, and it is HS 2008. Thanks.

One more question: those of you who use home server. Are you accessing it via another computer using the software disk?