PSU Fan stops at bios

tynesider

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hi, I have built my new PC and I'm having a problem with the PSU fan, it starts when i power on but then stops at the bios which shows a PSU fan error. I can stop the error showing but the fan doesn't come on. I can reboot my PC and it will start with no problems but I'm a bit concerned that it might shut down if I leave my PC on when I'm not there. Ive flashed the bios to the newest and Ive also shut the PC down and moved the jumper then moved it back as someone suggested but that didn't work. Ive unplugged the fan and checked the pins and all is ok. I had the fan working ok before in my old setup. I do not understand the settings in the bios to change them to manual and just about everything is running in auto mode. I'm not into overclocking but if there is a tweak to get the fan running then I would give it a go. I'm not super efficient like most of you on here so if anyone has any advice please do is basic terms.

Thanks

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
4.20 gigahertz AMD FX-4170 Quad-Core
M5A78L-M USB3
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
Alpine GT 64 PSU fan

Xttony

Distinguished
You better get a new PSU. Generally PSU fans cannot be controlled via bios or a software. Either way your problems seems to be a different one, which is not concerned with fan speed control. Probably Your PSU fan controller has gone bad.

Some PSU fans can be controlled, but those PSUs come with the fan control software

tynesider

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for that, I haven't tried the PSU fan that came with the processor. When Ive looked on the internet for a solution there are quite a few who have had the exact same problem, the trouble is they don't say if and how they solved the problem.

Thanks

tynesider

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Can anyone recomend a good fan that will work with my setup?

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
4.20 gigahertz AMD FX-4170 Quad-Core
M5A78L-M USB3
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
Alpine GT 64 PSU fan

Xttony

Distinguished

what do you mean by the PSU fan that came with the processor? Are you talking about the fan which sits on top of the processor?

tynesider

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Sorry yes thats what I meant, I think you mean a new power supply unit, the one I have is new and it's 450w. I thought you were suggesting I bought a new heatsing fan.
Basically everything works apart from the fan that sits on top of the processor starts and then stops at the bios, I get an error saying fan error. I can then turn off my PC then power up and the fan runs ok. I don't know if it's the fan or there is something i can do in the bios but i don't undertand the manual settings.
Thanks

Xttony

Distinguished
Check that the fan is connected to the slot indicated by CPU fan and not any other fan slot. Also reset the bios.
You can find CPU fan settings in the bios.

tynesider

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I have reset and flashed the bios and the fan is in the cpu slot. I have seen the settings in the bios but I don't know what to set them to, at the moment they are all on auto. Ive never tried to overclock before so i haven't a clue what the settings should be.