Shawlzy

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Ok i am completly stumped here. My CPU temp at idle is 80-88c yes i know crazy right. Well here's why i am stumped. I am getting those readings from speedfan/HWmonitor and others. When i run prime95 or heavy gaming my cpu temp is in the mid 30's core temp maybe 55c max. As soon as i stop prime95 or any load it goes right back up to 80-88c again almost instantly and its like its only reading accurately under load. At idle my bios is saying 31c. I can feel the cpu cooler liquid lines and they are not even not even warm when I am getting those temps. I am lost here on what is causing this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve..

I am running
i7 2600k
coolit eco ii120 liquid cpu coler
asus P8P67 DELUXE MB
2 hd6770

Solution
The programs just can't understand the sensor I guess, since the bios shows 31C idle.
Try using coretemp for example, see what that shows.
Have you tried some asus utility?
G

Your fan speeds are?
If the speeds are linked to cpu load, the fans may be very low or even off, leaving it to heat up, so when the CPU is under load, the fans are on max, and so cools it down, making the readings look odd, i had that problem on my laptop, easy to fix, change it so fan speeds vary by temperature, rather than CPU load.

G

After reading your post more thoroughly, it seems that your just having reading issues, but still check out what kind of cooling settings it's on (cpu load or cpu temp) or maybe just see if you can put the fan on max, try something, but be careful not to overheat, if it's worrying you that bad, buy a laser temperature monitor so you can get accurate readings that are reliable, if you're getting different readings from different programs at the same time, that suggests a reading problem on somethings part. The liquid pump speeds may effect the temperature if thet varies like fans do!

Shawlzy

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Yeah i have a laser monitor that i use for my nitro trucks and its saying 88-93f on the cpu area. Its just really crazy on how it reads backwords 35c at 100% load and 80-87 at idle.....

G

o_O i have a nitro truck too :p ... anyway, have you any way of finding out how fast the pumps are operating? and the fan(s) too? and yeah, make sure you are using the same temperature units, 88-93f is about 33-35c ish! My pc's cooling is efficient enough that i dont get any variation of temps, so it could possbly be a misunderstanding, just a thought, but make sure :p mine runs at about 40c/98f, and i made that mistake once, depends on what units each program/monitor gives the temps in...

Shawlzy

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Yeah everything is set to C and from feeling the airflow through the case and liquid lines right now its veru cool, but im reading 86c. Like i said the more load i put on it the cooler it gets very weird. My fans with the exception my my CPU liquid cooler are hooked up to the PSU and are running full blast.

G

Ok, is the pump running on a constant full blast? if it's variable, try sticking the pump on a constant full speed, from my experience with liquid pumps is they don't like being varied, as they generally need the full power to operate properly.

G

Ok, well other than that, i don't know, what speed is it going at when the temperatures are reading high (the 80-90c ones) ?? if it's going slow, then you may have to stop it doing that. You say the actual temps at idle are 80-90 from the pc, but 34c ish using the laser monitor?

Shawlzy

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Yes im reading 89f with the laser and the temp monitoring programs say 35c also under load. Speed isnt changing with the load i was just watching it 4300's from 80c all the way to reading in the 30's under load Its only when i take load away it reads in the 80c range. It just doesnt make sense. IDk i went through the bios i went through the settings on the temp monitoring programs and everything looks right to me so IDK. Thanks for trying to help it is much appeciated. I think i have searched the whole internet for a reason.

braien334

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The programs just can't understand the sensor I guess, since the bios shows 31C idle.
Try using coretemp for example, see what that shows.
Have you tried some asus utility?

Solution

Shawlzy

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
No i havent tried asus utility yet. Core temp shows the 4 cores at 27-31c at idle, bios says cpu is 32c. Any other cpu monitor i use says im in the 80c range except under load than cpu reads 30's 40's. It's just weird.