Sign in with
Your question

Help upgrading RAM

Last response: in Memory
January 5, 2013 11:37:12 AM

Hi, I'm looking to buy some RAM and I have found some I would like to buy but they are all 1600mhz but I'm not sure what my current RAM speed is or what my motherboard can handle. I've got CPU-Z running, I'm looking at the DRAM frequency 665.0 mhz so times that by 2 and I got 1330 so I take it I have 1333mhz.

Now my question is, Do I need to find 1333mhz RAM or will I be able to use the 1600mhz ones I have been looking at?

If you need a screenshot of the motherboard section on CPU-Z just tell me and I will put one up.

More about : upgrading ram

a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 5, 2013 1:39:49 PM

That will help; I try to match the original ram or sell it, and upgrade to a higher capacity ram stick such as a kit of 2x4 gb. Mixing ram is hit or miss. Post your board and ram specs for more advice.
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 5, 2013 4:29:22 PM

Found one link: http://www.qtmemory.com/2gb-ddr3-pc3-10600-1333mhz-dimm.... Crucial has the most sticks that match your HP specs; I recommend either 1 or 2 kits of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If your windows version is only 32 bit, then upgrading from your standard 3 gb would be a waste, since windows will only use about 3.25 gb total, which is about what you have now. If you have 64 bit windows, then you have 4 slots available; you can remove any 512 mb or 1 gb sticks, and leave the 2 matching sticks totaling 2 gb alone; with one kit of 2x2gb (4 gb total), that will give you 6 gb of ram for around $27. If the ram doesn't work, remove the old hp ram and try the new ram alone. If it works, then you can order another kit for a total of 8 gb. If you don't mind paying more, you can order from the link above but only if they guarantee their ram to work and don't charge you a restocking fee for returns. Otherwise, order from newegg if you can.
Your board won't recognize a 2 x 4 gb kit of ram; only using 4 gb of it, so don't order it unless hp says it will work. Each ram slot has a limit of only 2 gb for a total of 8.
m
l
January 6, 2013 9:38:34 AM

o1die said:
Found one link: http://www.qtmemory.com/2gb-ddr3-pc3-10600-1333mhz-dimm.... Crucial has the most sticks that match your HP specs; I recommend either 1 or 2 kits of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If your windows version is only 32 bit, then upgrading from your standard 3 gb would be a waste, since windows will only use about 3.25 gb total, which is about what you have now. If you have 64 bit windows, then you have 4 slots available; you can remove any 512 mb or 1 gb sticks, and leave the 2 matching sticks totaling 2 gb alone; with one kit of 2x2gb (4 gb total), that will give you 6 gb of ram for around $27. If the ram doesn't work, remove the old hp ram and try the new ram alone. If it works, then you can order another kit for a total of 8 gb. If you don't mind paying more, you can order from the link above but only if they guarantee their ram to work and don't charge you a restocking fee for returns. Otherwise, order from newegg if you can.
Your board won't recognize a 2 x 4 gb kit of ram; only using 4 gb of it, so don't order it unless hp says it will work. Each ram slot has a limit of only 2 gb for a total of 8.

So I guess I will need to get a new motherboard to use RAM like this?
m
l
a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 11:20:54 AM

No. Just pointing out the limits of your motherboard. If you don't mind getting a new windows coa, then you can change boards. But you may not benefit much from it. If you can change a motherboard, then you should build your own next time. Might be better to start over; pass on your system to a family member or sell it. This might be more cost effective. If you're not a hardcore gamer, then you may not notice much difference with the change. What do you use your system for?
m
l
January 6, 2013 12:18:45 PM

I use it mainly for gaming and sometimes video editing/rendering.
m
l
!