Bluetooth or IR for dialup internet access via mobile phone?

Hi,

I have a customer who wants to use her cell phone to dial up to the
internet on her notebook PC..

The PC doesn't have IR or Bluetooth so I am going to get her a USB adapter..

She is not the most tech savvy so I need a solution that is as plug and
play as possible..

The phone I think is a Nokia 6230 so supports both IR and Bluetooth..

The OS on the laptop is Windows 2000..

What would the best way to go be? IR or Bluetooth?

Thanks..
4 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth dialup internet access mobile phone

    Bluetooth because it doesn't have to be line of sight. The phone can be in
    her purse or breifcase and the computer can still dial it. Otherwise she
    will have to line up the phone and the computer IR ports when she wants to
    dial out.

    TC

    "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a customer who wants to use her cell phone to dial up to the
    > internet on her notebook PC..
    >
    > The PC doesn't have IR or Bluetooth so I am going to get her a USB
    > adapter..
    >
    > She is not the most tech savvy so I need a solution that is as plug and
    > play as possible..
    >
    > The phone I think is a Nokia 6230 so supports both IR and Bluetooth..
    >
    > The OS on the laptop is Windows 2000..
    >
    > What would the best way to go be? IR or Bluetooth?
    >
    > Thanks..

    Is the software for making a Bluetooth/Mobile phone internet connection
    provided with the bluetooth USB adapter or will I need to get something
    else as well?

    Which USB Bluetooth adapter would you recommend?

    Thanks..

    Tony Clark wrote:
    > Bluetooth because it doesn't have to be line of sight. The phone can be in
    > her purse or breifcase and the computer can still dial it. Otherwise she
    > will have to line up the phone and the computer IR ports when she wants to
    > dial out.
    >
    > TC
    >
    > "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a customer who wants to use her cell phone to dial up to the
    >>internet on her notebook PC..
    >>
    >>The PC doesn't have IR or Bluetooth so I am going to get her a USB
    >>adapter..
    >>
    >>She is not the most tech savvy so I need a solution that is as plug and
    >>play as possible..
    >>
    >>The phone I think is a Nokia 6230 so supports both IR and Bluetooth..
    >>
    >>The OS on the laptop is Windows 2000..
    >>
    >>What would the best way to go be? IR or Bluetooth?
    >>
    >>Thanks..

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    > Is the software for making a Bluetooth/Mobile phone internet connection
    > provided with the bluetooth USB adapter or will I need to get something
    > else as well?
    >
    > Which USB Bluetooth adapter would you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks..
    >
    > Tony Clark wrote:
    >> Bluetooth because it doesn't have to be line of sight. The phone can be
    >> in her purse or breifcase and the computer can still dial it. Otherwise
    >> she will have to line up the phone and the computer IR ports when she
    >> wants to dial out.
    >>
    >> TC

    SNIP

    You will need to make a Dial-UP network connection just like you do for a
    modem. It's possible that the software that comes with the Bluetooth device
    will automatically add this for you but it may not. I personally like the
    Belkin devices but there are other good units as well.

    Cheers
    TC
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Yes, there is software provided with any bluetooth adapter, that should make
    it connect to a bluetooth phone, as long as the phone supports that.

    If you are using Windows XP SP2 you might not need to install the included
    software at all, as it comes with its own support for Bluetooth.

    "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
    > Is the software for making a Bluetooth/Mobile phone internet connection
    > provided with the bluetooth USB adapter or will I need to get something
    > else as well?
    >
    > Which USB Bluetooth adapter would you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks..
    >
    > Tony Clark wrote:
    > > Bluetooth because it doesn't have to be line of sight. The phone can be
    in
    > > her purse or breifcase and the computer can still dial it. Otherwise she
    > > will have to line up the phone and the computer IR ports when she wants
    > > dial out.
    > >
    > > TC
    > >
    > > "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>I have a customer who wants to use her cell phone to dial up to the
    > >>internet on her notebook PC..
    > >>
    > >>The PC doesn't have IR or Bluetooth so I am going to get her a USB
    > >>adapter..
    > >>
    > >>She is not the most tech savvy so I need a solution that is as plug and
    > >>play as possible..
    > >>
    > >>The phone I think is a Nokia 6230 so supports both IR and Bluetooth..
    > >>
    > >>The OS on the laptop is Windows 2000..
    > >>
    > >>What would the best way to go be? IR or Bluetooth?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks..

Bluetooth Internet Access