Bluetooth or IR for dialup internet access via mobile phone?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
May 15, 2005 2:39:00 AM

Hi,

I have a customer who wants to use her cell phone to dial up to the
internet on her notebook PC..

The PC doesn't have IR or Bluetooth so I am going to get her a USB adapter..

She is not the most tech savvy so I need a solution that is as plug and
play as possible..

The phone I think is a Nokia 6230 so supports both IR and Bluetooth..

The OS on the laptop is Windows 2000..

What would the best way to go be? IR or Bluetooth?

Thanks..
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:39:40 AM

Bluetooth because it doesn't have to be line of sight. The phone can be in
her purse or breifcase and the computer can still dial it. Otherwise she
will have to line up the phone and the computer IR ports when she wants to
dial out.

TC

"WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer who wants to use her cell phone to dial up to the
> internet on her notebook PC..
>
> The PC doesn't have IR or Bluetooth so I am going to get her a USB
> adapter..
>
> She is not the most tech savvy so I need a solution that is as plug and
> play as possible..
>
> The phone I think is a Nokia 6230 so supports both IR and Bluetooth..
>
> The OS on the laptop is Windows 2000..
>
> What would the best way to go be? IR or Bluetooth?
>
> Thanks..
May 16, 2005 1:56:24 PM

Is the software for making a Bluetooth/Mobile phone internet connection
provided with the bluetooth USB adapter or will I need to get something
else as well?

Which USB Bluetooth adapter would you recommend?

Thanks..

Tony Clark wrote:
> Bluetooth because it doesn't have to be line of sight. The phone can be in
> her purse or breifcase and the computer can still dial it. Otherwise she
> will have to line up the phone and the computer IR ports when she wants to
> dial out.
>
> TC
>
> "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a customer who wants to use her cell phone to dial up to the
>>internet on her notebook PC..
>>
>>The PC doesn't have IR or Bluetooth so I am going to get her a USB
>>adapter..
>>
>>She is not the most tech savvy so I need a solution that is as plug and
>>play as possible..
>>
>>The phone I think is a Nokia 6230 so supports both IR and Bluetooth..
>>
>>The OS on the laptop is Windows 2000..
>>
>>What would the best way to go be? IR or Bluetooth?
>>
>>Thanks..

May 16, 2005 5:45:47 PM

> Is the software for making a Bluetooth/Mobile phone internet connection
> provided with the bluetooth USB adapter or will I need to get something
> else as well?
>
> Which USB Bluetooth adapter would you recommend?
>
> Thanks..
>
> Tony Clark wrote:
>> Bluetooth because it doesn't have to be line of sight. The phone can be
>> in her purse or breifcase and the computer can still dial it. Otherwise
>> she will have to line up the phone and the computer IR ports when she
>> wants to dial out.
>>
>> TC

SNIP

You will need to make a Dial-UP network connection just like you do for a
modem. It's possible that the software that comes with the Bluetooth device
will automatically add this for you but it may not. I personally like the
Belkin devices but there are other good units as well.

Cheers
TC
May 22, 2005 3:06:26 AM

Yes, there is software provided with any bluetooth adapter, that should make
it connect to a bluetooth phone, as long as the phone supports that.

If you are using Windows XP SP2 you might not need to install the included
software at all, as it comes with its own support for Bluetooth.

!