Sign in with
Your question

New computer build, suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2011 11:18:14 PM

hey guys, dont be too rough on me Ive been interested in computers for a while and I think its time I finally jump in. I dont really have to much background or anything. Ive done some research on here and newegg and some other sites and found what seem to be pretty good parts but just need help putting everything together, making sure everything is compatible and making sure my parts are optimal(and if im missing anything). Any help is greatly appreciated.

-motherboard - no idea
-graphics - AMD radeon 6950 dirt3
-psu- corsair 750 w ()
-CPU- i5 2500k 3.3ghz
-memory - ripjaws 8gb
-hard drive- samsung 1tb 7200 rpm
-case- NZXT phantom

I have no idea on the motherboard So i need some help on that.

if you have any suggestions other then the motherboard feel free, any help is greatly appreciated thanks alot. (trying to stay around 1000$ )

edit: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, looking at that motherboard
November 28, 2011 12:30:49 AM

You'll want a LGA 1155 motherboard for that CPU. There are different chipsets to choose from, some have more features than others, you can check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

Normal computer shoppers don't pay attention to the chipset but if you're going to do your own builds then it's something you want to be filled in on because the chipsets dictate what features or hardware support your motherboard will have. Make sure to also consider the PCI-e slots on the motherboard. Chances are your motherboard won't have usb3 so you'll want enough pci-e slots with good spacing to allow you to throw in your vid card, 2nd vid card, a usb3 card later, possibly a pci-e based ssd, asus xonar sound card or creative labs sound card, 2nd network card etc....

Personally I go ultra cheap on my cases. My current case which packs $4000 worth of gear cost $28 new. That allowed me to buy 1 more hdd. The only thing you want to be sure of with your case is that it can fix your motherboard. If you get an m-atx motherboard then you can get an m-atx case (trusting you aren't buying a 6990 or another huge vid card). If you get an e-atx motherboard then you'll want an e-atx sized case. You can fit an m-atx motherboard in an e-atx case.

Your choice of graphics card is good. I read before that there is a bios hack that will turn it in to a Radeon 6970. I'd google that to see if you can use it.

RAM is cheap so I would get 16-32GB depending on what your MB supports. You'll probably have 4 slots on the motherboard so you can buy your ram based on what the motherboard supports.

Hard drives are cheap so I'd put a min of 2 drives in your system. This allows you the benefit of being able to read/write at two locations at the same time. It's useful for putting your virtual memory on a separate physical disk than your OS/apps or to put it 2+ disks at once. There are different wants you can work with multiple drives to get more speed. There are also some cheap SSDs like the OCZ Agility 3 which are quick.

blackburn72419 said:
hey guys, dont be too rough on me Ive been interested in computers for a while and I think its time I finally jump in. I dont really have to much background or anything. Ive done some research on here and newegg and some other sites and found what seem to be pretty good parts but just need help putting everything together, making sure everything is compatible and making sure my parts are optimal(and if im missing anything). Any help is greatly appreciated.

-motherboard - no idea
-graphics - AMD radeon 6950 dirt3
-psu- corsair 750 w ()
-CPU- i5 2500k 3.3ghz
-memory - ripjaws 8gb
-hard drive- samsung 1tb 7200 rpm
-case- NZXT phantom

I have no idea on the motherboard So i need some help on that.

if you have any suggestions other then the motherboard feel free, any help is greatly appreciated thanks alot. (trying to stay around 1000$ )

edit: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, looking at that motherboard

m
l
November 28, 2011 1:02:25 AM

woshitudou said:
You'll want a LGA 1155 motherboard for that CPU. There are different chipsets to choose from, some have more features than others, you can check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

Normal computer shoppers don't pay attention to the chipset but if you're going to do your own builds then it's something you want to be filled in on because the chipsets dictate what features or hardware support your motherboard will have. Make sure to also consider the PCI-e slots on the motherboard. Chances are your motherboard won't have usb3 so you'll want enough pci-e slots with good spacing to allow you to throw in your vid card, 2nd vid card, a usb3 card later, possibly a pci-e based ssd, asus xonar sound card or creative labs sound card, 2nd network card etc....

Personally I go ultra cheap on my cases. My current case which packs $4000 worth of gear cost $28 new. That allowed me to buy 1 more hdd. The only thing you want to be sure of with your case is that it can fix your motherboard. If you get an m-atx motherboard then you can get an m-atx case (trusting you aren't buying a 6990 or another huge vid card). If you get an e-atx motherboard then you'll want an e-atx sized case. You can fit an m-atx motherboard in an e-atx case.

Your choice of graphics card is good. I read before that there is a bios hack that will turn it in to a Radeon 6970. I'd google that to see if you can use it.

RAM is cheap so I would get 16-32GB depending on what your MB supports. You'll probably have 4 slots on the motherboard so you can buy your ram based on what the motherboard supports.

Hard drives are cheap so I'd put a min of 2 drives in your system. This allows you the benefit of being able to read/write at two locations at the same time. It's useful for putting your virtual memory on a separate physical disk than your OS/apps or to put it 2+ disks at once. There are different wants you can work with multiple drives to get more speed. There are also some cheap SSDs like the OCZ Agility 3 which are quick.

Thanks for the feedback, Im not sure if I didnt give enough info on the mother board but this is the one im looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , it says LGA 1155 so I think its good, As far as PCI-e slots go im not sure, because Honestly I dont know much about motherboards at all but the board seems to be highly rated and reviewed so If anyone can help me out on this it would be great.

Also about the case, I am looking into a cheaper case to maybe allow me to save some money or upgrade something else, I actually have a case at home but I have no idea if it will fit my components its a pretty old case. If someone could let me know if these components are "normal" sized than I may try to just fit it into that case.
m
l
!