PC build won't turn on (Have no RAM)

wkdwilliams

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I have the whole computer built, but I've not inserted the RAM yet because it hasn't came in the post. I'm just a bit worried that the PC won't turn, I was expecting it to power up and give me an error that the RAM has not been installed, but no, it shows no LEDs or anything.

Although, there is 1 sign of power when I press the button on the back of my PSU (this)), I see the CPU fan and the case fan turn/spin a tiny little bit (turns about 10 degrees).

I'd just like to know if this is normal, the PC installation went smooth, had no problem.

warhead0

Distinguished
it will probably vary from motherboards but it is probably fine, you said the CPU and case fan do spin slightly, this is a good sign that everything is connected, but double check that everything is secured and connected into the correct sockets.

I have in the past made very similar mistakes that had me stumped for hours, until i realised a single power cable was not inserted correctly.

wkdwilliams

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the reply, it's gonna suck to wait 2-3 days for the RAM so I can finally test this thing out and get my operating systems running. I've went through the manual like 5 times so I think it's fine.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
...I bought a Zalman case once, and failed to realize that the power button was never connected; there's a plug so you can pull the front panel the whole way off that was never connected.

Point is, just keep looking for little things like that until you get your RAM. I think you'll be fine, though.