I5 2500k or ivy bridge

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
  • Intel i5
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
February 29, 2012 10:27:34 PM

I am doing an update to my computer and the new motherboard and ram has just arrived. should i get an Intel i5 2500k or wait until April for ivy bridge.

More about : 2500k ivy bridge

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 1:29:58 AM

the 2500k has been on sale for some great prices lately
try to catch a good sale
I know if you have a Microcenter near you they had it as low as $179

even though Ivy will probably outperform the 2500k
it wont be by that much
and I am sure Ivy will cost way over $200

so your best bang for buck is the 2500K
especially if you plan to overclock it
at over 4ghz it is more than strong enough to handle anything you throw at it
best gaming CPU there is currently for the money
and can do well at other tasks like Photoshop,media encoding etc

I dont think you will be disappointed with the 2500k
and you can upgrade later when need be
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 3:24:43 AM

Ivy got delayed to june.
m
l
Related resources
a c 487 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 5:28:28 AM

Yep. Delayed 'til June.

Originally there were rumors that IB was going to be delayed until June. Intel quickly dispelled those rumors. But 2 days ago Intel has confirmed IB will be delayed until June because of issues with the 22nm process.

http://www.techspot.com/news/47572-intel-confirms-ivy-b...

Unless you want to delay completing your PC for 4 months, you might as well buy an i5-2500k.
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:34:38 AM

The Ivy Bridge will be best if you can wait. It will run cooler at a lower wattage and can then be overclocked higher due to the cpu running cooler even though it will be running at the same ghz if not higher then the current i5
m
l
a c 487 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 6:08:52 AM

I guess were back to the contradicting story cycle again.
m
l
March 1, 2012 6:36:24 AM

Ivy delayed till June and you should just for 2500k and you can upgrade later!
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:18:54 AM

People need to stop spreading BS. Ivy Bridge has NOT been delayed until June for desktops.
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:40:57 AM

I am in that same boat. I was thinking of using all high end parts, but going with I3. Its cheap enough for me to discard it, and get IB when its out to upgrade.
OR
I can just wait, which will mean new chip set MB and more money for me to burn building a more higher end system...
Still not sure what to do yet, my current system can run games no prob, i just cant max out all the games any more :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 7:53:28 AM

You go with what's best now. You never know in advance how much better the performance of the next processor is going to be, and you never know the price. There's always "something better" 6 months around the corner. i5-2500k is the best price-performance sweet spot that's been hit for a while, so you will not go wrong with it.
m
l
March 1, 2012 8:08:23 AM

I would go with the 2600k but that's mainly cause I'm impatient and when I'm building a system I like it to be finished and be able to run games within 2 days of the parts arriving but if you have the money and arnt in a hurry to get this build done just wait for ivy bridge
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 8:23:47 AM

Honestly Ivy won't be much of an upgrade over sandy, only igp will be vastly effected.
m
l
March 1, 2012 8:29:02 AM

jaguarskx said:
Yep. Delayed 'til June.

Originally there were rumors that IB was going to be delayed until June. Intel quickly dispelled those rumors. But 2 days ago Intel has confirmed IB will be delayed until June because of issues with the 22nm process.

http://www.techspot.com/news/47572-intel-confirms-ivy-b...

Unless you want to delay completing your PC for 4 months, you might as well buy an i5-2500k.

issues with amds fail cpus* lol they are going to keep them up until amd makes a good processor
m
l
March 1, 2012 10:50:49 AM

tiang said:
Ivy delayed till June and you should just for 2500k and you can upgrade later!

I might be wrong but i thought only the mobile cpu's were delayed.
m
l
March 1, 2012 11:12:50 AM

Ivy is not delayed until June....

Only Ivy Bridge Mobile processors have been delayed according to the article released. If you actually read the article it in fact never states "desktop" processors have been delayed.

Stop giving misinformation. Imo I would grab a 2500k. Their cheap and can always be used again if you upgrade to Ivy if they are that much of an improvement.
m
l
March 2, 2012 5:07:44 AM

capt_taco said:
You go with what's best now. You never know in advance how much better the performance of the next processor is going to be, and you never know the price. There's always "something better" 6 months around the corner. i5-2500k is the best price-performance sweet spot that's been hit for a while, so you will not go wrong with it.

How could you possibly offer this as advice?

There's a difference between waiting a month for something and 13 months for "oh well if you wait for this wait for the next thing".

Do not get 2500k if you have any patience.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2012 7:36:16 AM

The problem is if you buy from intel (currently at least) There is no correct time you should buy, because you think "next year they are going to have a faster cpu" Which in most scenarios is true, so it all comes down to patience.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2012 12:52:16 PM

@ihatehismap- if you have a microcenter available they have the 2500k for 179.99
I am pretty sure that any new comparable Ivy Bridges will be much more than that
and I also think that the performance difference wont be enough to justify the price difference
the money you save could be used for a better video card
and a 2500k stock or overclocked is a very powerful processor

there isnt too much software that a 2500k cant handle if any
so why not save the money and get the 2500k and use the savings on the rest of the build
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 6:38:41 AM

jdx3ds said:
How could you possibly offer this as advice?

There's a difference between waiting a month for something and 13 months for "oh well if you wait for this wait for the next thing".

Do not get 2500k if you have any patience.

Because I've seen this enough to know better, that's why. There are several variables involved in waiting - and nobody, including you, Einstein, knows how they are going to turn out. Price, performance, heat, future compatibility, "playing nice" with other hardware, some other random flipping problem that no one foresaw? You don't know, even if it's a month.

There are probably a dozen examples of it that people on this forum could rattle off ... Bulldozer ... Fermi ... Radeon before that ... Phenom before that ... Prescott before that ... I mean, you just never know. Ivy bridge could come out and cost $500 for the same performance as i5-2500k. It could overheat. It could fail at overclocking. Intel could restrict it for some crappy proprietary reason. It could be a dud for some other completely random reason. And if so, or even if not, hey, Piledriver's just around the corner, and hey, something else is just around the corner after that ...

Meanwhile, the machine I'm typing this on is running on a q9550 that's 4 years old and still kicks the crap out of what half the people have, because I knew it was a good CPU when I bought it. So that's exactly what the hell I mean.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2012 3:46:02 PM

capt_taco said:
Because I've seen this enough to know better, that's why. There are several variables involved in waiting - and nobody, including you, Einstein, knows how they are going to turn out. Price, performance, heat, future compatibility, "playing nice" with other hardware, some other random flipping problem that no one foresaw? You don't know, even if it's a month.

There are probably a dozen examples of it that people on this forum could rattle off ... Bulldozer ... Fermi ... Radeon before that ... Phenom before that ... Prescott before that ... I mean, you just never know. Ivy bridge could come out and cost $500 for the same performance as i5-2500k. It could overheat. It could fail at overclocking. Intel could restrict it for some crappy proprietary reason. It could be a dud for some other completely random reason. And if so, or even if not, hey, Piledriver's just around the corner, and hey, something else is just around the corner after that ...

Meanwhile, the machine I'm typing this on is running on a q9550 that's 4 years old and still kicks the crap out of what half the people have, because I knew it was a good CPU when I bought it. So that's exactly what the hell I mean.

In recent years Intel has hit much closer to the projected benchmarks than AMD has. While I expect IB to be <10% CPU performance increase over SB at the stock clocks, it has a lower TDP and should be capable of oc'ing higher, if the OP wants to do that, as well as PCIE 3.0, QuickSync 2.0 and other advances as well.

Point is, Intel is not discontinuing SB in a month's time, so if indeed IB turns out to be crappy or have problems, the OP can then get an SB. All he will have lost is a mornth or two (when the leaked or actual benchies should be out), whereas if he goes SB right now he might be kicking himself or out the difference from what he paid and what he can ebay the SB for.

Of course, only the OP can weigh how immediate and pressing his needs are vs. IB turning out to be the better choice, to see if worth waiting two months. I have a 5-yr-old Q6700 system myself, but I'm gonna wait two months and see, even plan to wait on how Kepler turns out which means 3 months from now..

But if I had to wait a whole year like for Haswell, then I'd probably get the best one for the $$ right now and then ebay the mobo and CPU after the Haswell reviews are out, even with Haswell rumored to be a major upgrade CPU-performance-wise.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 4:27:51 PM

okay
179.99 USD for 2500k
how much do you project a IB CPU that can significantly out perform the 2500k (especially if 2500k is OCd) will cost?

Look at the prices of Sandybridge-E

can you justify paying that much more for a SB-E over a 2500k or 2600k?
much less what IB will probably cost
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 6:08:35 PM

What about IB being oc'ed? We always have to take that into consideration. Then we can see clock for clock which one is faster (probably a 5% difference)
m
l
March 3, 2012 6:59:34 PM

king smp said:
okay
179.99 USD for 2500k
how much do you project a IB CPU that can significantly out perform the 2500k (especially if 2500k is OCd) will cost?

Most of us are not lucky enough to live near Micro Center, to be able to get 2500k for that price. However i think we need to see the facts as we know right now.

We already know current generation of chip inside out.

As for IB, we know its 22nm, posses more transistors then current gen chip. Runs cooler and posses good ability to OC, given we use unlocked chip. Uses less power too. Probably more i am not aware off.

As for price point i think that subjective. Some might see increase price (in comparison to 2500k) worth it, given efficiency and speed.

Just things along those line. Also is waiting worth it, or not is subjective.

Personally i would wait since its short time, because i wouldnt want to look back and say "dam i should have waited just a month". It would have nothing to do with how awesome my current system is even without IB.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 7:20:01 PM

king smp said:
okay
179.99 USD for 2500k

IB will probably be priced gouged at first so it will take 3 or so months to get to s decent price.

amuffin said:
What about IB being oc'ed? We always have to take that into consideration. Then we can see clock for clock which one is faster (probably a 5% difference)

IB will probably overclock just as well if not a bit better than SB. Clock per clock, i am betting 10-15% overall better than SB.

But thats not to say a 2500K is not worth getting. I just did and its a nice little CPU. Overclocks very well and will handle everything no problem.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 7:29:09 PM

Well considering ivybridge is being delayed, i don't see why not get a 2500k right now. It is very good at overclocking (got one too!) and has great performance.
m
l
March 3, 2012 9:22:00 PM

delayed for THREE weeks thats it
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2012 7:34:44 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
In recent years Intel has hit much closer to the projected benchmarks than AMD has. While I expect IB to be <10% CPU performance increase over SB at the stock clocks, it has a lower TDP and should be capable of oc'ing higher, if the OP wants to do that, as well as PCIE 3.0, QuickSync 2.0 and other advances as well.

Point is, Intel is not discontinuing SB in a month's time, so if indeed IB turns out to be crappy or have problems, the OP can then get an SB. All he will have lost is a mornth or two (when the leaked or actual benchies should be out), whereas if he goes SB right now he might be kicking himself or out the difference from what he paid and what he can ebay the SB for.

Of course, only the OP can weigh how immediate and pressing his needs are vs. IB turning out to be the better choice, to see if worth waiting two months. I have a 5-yr-old Q6700 system myself, but I'm gonna wait two months and see, even plan to wait on how Kepler turns out which means 3 months from now..

But if I had to wait a whole year like for Haswell, then I'd probably get the best one for the $$ right now and then ebay the mobo and CPU after the Haswell reviews are out, even with Haswell rumored to be a major upgrade CPU-performance-wise.

Yes, all that is true, especially about Intel tending to be more reliable than AMD lately about meeting expectations. And yeah, waiting 1-2 months is a lot less time lost if it turns out to be crap than if you'd waited 6-12 months banking on something. I just didn't appreciate the "how could you possibly offer this as advice" nonsense from that guy. You can rarely ever go wrong in the long term buying a CPU that is known to be the best of its timeframe, and that will stay true whether IB is 10% better or not.

Really what I expect to happen, if I know Intel, is that the IB equivalent of the i5-2500k will come out costing $329.99, they'll have something equivalent to an i3 that costs about $189.99 to make it just less than the i5-2500k, and then some ultra high-end i7 crap for $529.99 that comes down in price by $200 in a couple months, when they release the new $600 i7 that's exactly the same but .1GHz faster.

If it was a complete overhaul and move to a new platform, maybe it'd be a different story, but this is basically just a die shrink with incremental performance increases, we hope. It doesn't really seem like anything that should disrupt anyone's well thought-out plans IMO.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2012 3:54:57 PM

capt_taco said:
Yes, all that is true, especially about Intel tending to be more reliable than AMD lately about meeting expectations. And yeah, waiting 1-2 months is a lot less time lost if it turns out to be crap than if you'd waited 6-12 months banking on something. I just didn't appreciate the "how could you possibly offer this as advice" nonsense from that guy. You can rarely ever go wrong in the long term buying a CPU that is known to be the best of its timeframe, and that will stay true whether IB is 10% better or not.

Really what I expect to happen, if I know Intel, is that the IB equivalent of the i5-2500k will come out costing $329.99, they'll have something equivalent to an i3 that costs about $189.99 to make it just less than the i5-2500k, and then some ultra high-end i7 crap for $529.99 that comes down in price by $200 in a couple months, when they release the new $600 i7 that's exactly the same but .1GHz faster.

If it was a complete overhaul and move to a new platform, maybe it'd be a different story, but this is basically just a die shrink with incremental performance increases, we hope. It doesn't really seem like anything that should disrupt anyone's well thought-out plans IMO.

IIRC there was a link in another thread showing IB desktop prices to be about the same as the SB lineup - will try to find it. If true then I'd expect maybe some temporary price gouging by the retailers such as Newegg, until availability or competition or the newness factor wears off a bit. While Intel does charge up the ol' wazzoo for the enthusiast lineup, the mainstream is more reasonably priced. I seem to recall the same discussion about SB pricing before it came out too, and was pleasantly surprised by the i5's..
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2012 4:06:25 PM

From http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011121902_Prices_of...:

Model Cores Threads Frequency TurboFrequency L3cache TDP Price Sandy BridgeCPU / price
Core i5-3450 4 4 3.1 GHz 3.5 GHz 6 MB 77 Watt $184 i5-2400 / $184
Core i5-3450S 4 4 2.8 GHz 3.5 GHz 6 MB 65 Watt $184 i5-2400S / $184
Core i5-3470T 2 4 2.9 GHz 3.6 GHz 3 MB 35 Watt $184 i5-2390T / $184
Core i5-3550 4 4 3.3 GHz 3.7 GHz 6 MB 77 Watt $205 i5-2500 / $205
Core i5-3550S 4 4 3 GHz 3.7 GHz 6 MB 65 Watt $205 i5-2500S / $205
Core i5-3570K 4 4 3.4 GHz 3.8 GHz 6 MB 77 Watt $225 i5-2500K / $216
Core i5-3570T 4 4 2.3 GHz 3.3 GHz 6 MB 45 Watt $205 i5-2500T / $205
Core i7-3770 4 8 3.4 GHz 3.9 GHz 8 MB 77 Watt $294 i7-2600 / $294
Core i7-3770K 4 8 3.5 GHz 3.9 GHz 8 MB 77 Watt $332 i7-2700K / $332
Core i7-3770S 4 8 3.1 GHz 3.9 GHz 8 MB 65 Watt $294 i7-2600S / $294
Core i7-3770T 4 8 2.5 GHz 3.7 GHz 8 MB 45 Watt $294 N/A

Sorry for the lousy formatting but much nicer on the website :p . Anyway, takeaway is that the pricing will be identical to SB's lineup except for the i5-2500K equivalent, where it'll be a whopping $9 extra :whistle:  .
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:32:06 PM

I have a 2500k OC'd at 4.6.... I doupt the IB will go much higher (maybe 4.8?)

I am going to assume you are going to buy a GFX card. The main gains for IB is integrated GFX and lower power consumption. I personally dont care at all for integegrated GFX, lower power consumption is nice, but not a huge deal for me.

I would say for 179.99 jump on the 2500k.
IB will be a major leap for maintsteam consumers, but for enthusiast it will just be a little bump.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2012 5:53:26 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
IIRC there was a link in another thread showing IB desktop prices to be about the same as the SB lineup - will try to find it. If true then I'd expect maybe some temporary price gouging by the retailers such as Newegg, until availability or competition or the newness factor wears off a bit. While Intel does charge up the ol' wazzoo for the enthusiast lineup, the mainstream is more reasonably priced. I seem to recall the same discussion about SB pricing before it came out too, and was pleasantly surprised by the i5's..

I was frankly shocked by Intel's pricing this time around. In a good way, but it was still surprising. What I was referring to was more the 1366/775 generations, where they had an advantage and they knew it, so the then-equivalent of an i5-2500k was going to cost you $300+. This last generation, it seemed like AMD finally had its act together enough that they managed to put on some price pressure and forced Intel to be competitive again. If I had to predict for IB, though ... Bulldozer was such a bellyflop that the pressure is gone and Intel will go right back to gouging again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2012 7:27:32 PM

^ Admittedly this is an old (12/11) article but I haven't seen anything newer on IB pricing, not that I've been looking hard or anything :D .

Intel already has such a huge portion of the market, I sorta doubt they pay all that much attention to what AMD is doing anyway. I suspect what they do is run some models on pricing vs. volume vs. performance to other models, and then go for the sweet spot. With the economy still being slow on the recovery side, my bet is that they want to encourage early adoption & upgrading. Plus with their margins being like 65% or so, they can afford to be somewhat generous :p ..

Even if AMD should quit making x86 CPUs, I don't think Intel would raise their prices that much - they know it's better to sell a million CPUs at $200 than 1 CPU at $2000.

BTW, I like your avatar's hat :D ..
m
l
!