Asus P8Z77-V PRO DRAM issue

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hi. I've been having a few problems with my PC and was wondering if you fine gentlemen could give me a hand. Basically, I was in the BIOS and I switched the energy usage profile from Energy Saver to Performance - this was in the basic BIOS menu, mind you, I didn't touch anything else. So I switched it to Performance, saved and quit. It automatically restarted but never booted back up again properly. The computer is on, but nothing comes onto the screen, and the initial boot beep doesn't beep. The computer hasn't booted up since.

I should probably mention at this point that I've been having some issues with display over the past two weeks - occasionally the PC will turn on my TV won't recognize it, though the PC DID beep upon boot. It usually fixes itself if I switch HDMI ports on the TV, but not this time. So you can understand why I thought this was the problem. I have ordered a VGA cable AND a DVI cable to replace it but they won't arrive until Monday.

Anyway, I opened up the PC and noticed the DRAM LED was red. This is new, and hasn't happened before. I have 2 4gb sticks in there, and have tried swapping them, taking one out and then the other, with no avail. Happens with all 4 slots, too. When I pressed the MEMOK switch, the red light next to DRAM went off - but the red light next to boot_device came on instead!! When I turn off and back on, the DRAM red light turns back on and the boot_device light is off.

So does anyone have an idea what my problem is here? I've been trying for 2 days but I can't make heads nor tails of it. I've posted my specs before in case that helps.

Case: ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO V3
CPU: Intel i7-3770K 3.5GHz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
RAM: 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3
GFX card: 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570
HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200rpm
PSU: CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650

Thanks in advance.

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

How would I go about doing that? Clearing CMOS? I already did that and nothing changed. I thought I put that in my original post but apparently not, oops.

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Nope. The DRAM red light still comes on.

Also, Asus' Support website has something that might help. It say to use the CMOS switch on the back I/O of the motherboard, separate from the jumper option. Is this a different way to clear the BIOS? I can't locate where this apparent switch is.

To be specific, it says

"Use the CMOS switch on the back I/O of the motherboard.
a.) Press down the “clr CMOS” switch on the back I/O.
b.) Hold down the "Del" key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data."

No idea where this "clr CMOS" switch actually is.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is an easier way to clear the CMOS (if you can't find the button).

Power the system down. Remove all power sources (power cable, video, powered speakers). Press the power button to discharge any residual power.

Now remove the case cover and locate the coin-style battery. Note which side goes up (toward you). Pop the battery out of its holder. Wait one minute.

Put the battery back in the holder. Put the case cover and reconnect your power sources (don't put the 670 in yet, stick with integrated video for now). Attempt to power on (BIOS/CMOS should be in its default state now).

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Unfortunately, I just tried that and it didn't work. The DRAM red light is still on. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help so far.

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Not today, no. But I should be able to pick some up in a couple days. You think the memory is bad? I have two sticks and have put them both in separately to no avail. Seems unlikely they both died at the same time, doesn't it?

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Welp, not sure why but all the red lights have stopped turning on. I tried all the things on that list, then I switched the RAM around again, put it back where it was originally, and for some reason the red lights have gone off.

TV still isn't detecting the PC via HDMI, though. Tried integrated and video card ports, nothing. I guess I'll just wait until the new cables arrive and see if it was just that. Thanks for your help, COLGeek.

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Nope, nothing at all. I tried using the same HDMI cable with my Xbox 360 and it worked, so it seems to be a problem with the computer itself. VGA & DVI cables don't arrive until tomorrow so I can't confirm yet.

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Welp, tried connecting with a VGA cable and still no luck, absolutely no indication my TV has detected the computer. When I turn the computer on red lights flash on but then go off after the initial boot beep. Any ideas?

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Nope.

Red light continues to switch between MEMOK and boot_device. Weird as all hell.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just to recap, no display with your 570 installed? AND, no display with your 570 removed, using your integrated video adapter? Both are true, right?

Try this, disconnect the power supply cable (the video cable and powered speakers as well if you have them connected) from the PSU. Disconnect both the 24-pin and 4/8-pin power connectors from the motherboard. Press the power button to discharge any residual power built up in capacitors on the mobo.

Reconnect everything and using the integrated video only (take out 570 when power cables are disconnected from mobo if still installed) try again.

Report back the results (trying to "reset" your power supply and see if it is the problem).

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Oh man, I tried taking out the graphics card again and using the VGA cable with the integrated. I have no idea why it worked the second time, but whatever. I set all the BIOS back to default, and I system restored. Restarted with the graphics card installed, no display again.

So basically, the PC works if I use the VGA cable on the integrated, but it won't work if I use HDMI integrated. It won't display anything at all if the graphics card is installed.

So where should I go from here? Thanks for all your help so far.

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Okay, I just tried using my old ATI 5770 gfx card, and the computer started up just fine, display and all. I assume this means my 570 is dead. The weird thing is, the 570's fans work when it's plugged in.

Before I jump to conclusions, are there any other possibilities to fix this issue other than getting a new card? I'd rather not shell out another £200, this 570 is only 6 months old.

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
One thing after another, it seems.

I managed to get the computer to boot up with the 570 installed, but it will only boot up if I use the DVI cable, not HDMI. The problem with this is my TV doesn't have a DVI connection, so I'm having to use a VGA-to-DVI adapter, which of course means I can't hear sound. The PC won't boot up at all if I use HDMI, and I've tried with two separate HDMI cables.

Also, even when I do boot up using the VGA/DVI, I can't change my resolution any higher than 1024x768 without the screen going black. I installed the latest nvidia drivers, too, and I've plugged the VGA/DVI into the graphics card slot.

ArcadeDiet

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Just in case someone else has this problem, I fixed it.

I bought a DVI-to-HDMI cable and it works perfectly on integrated AND dedicated! Sound, video, everything.