HD fried

G

Just a few quick questions, last day my Quantum 13 gig HD got fried. I had my case open and a piece of metal flew in and short a chip on my HD (not the primary Quantum Chip controller). The Bios no longers detects the HD. I lost about 9 gigs of data and just wondering if it can be recover.. and if the chip could be replaced (very slight chance if impossible) and any informative sites on the chipsets for Quantum 13 gig Fireball cx.
Anyone ever encounter problems like this before ?
this is also my first post

G

Quantum could restore your data for a proce I'm sure, but also, you might try finding another identical Quantum drive, remove the controller board from the good drive and place it on your bad drive. I have seen people do this before, but I don't know if it was to put parts from two or more bad drives together to make one working drive, or if it was to get a bad drive with data on it working again.

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like the other post said, if you get an identical drive, you can swap the board, and it should work. I've done this 2 or 3 times, and have had good success. As long as there was no physical damage to the platters or heads, you should be able to restore your information without a problem.