Reverse DNS Issues

JimF_35

Distinguished
I am having a problem. Our DBA is using SQL Server 2005 running an Access front end because the systems were developed in Access and migrated later to SQL Server. The SQL Server uses Windows Authentication but will fail through out the day and the user has to log out and back in (on some computers not all). Our DBA says the problem is a reverse lookup issue. On the failing computer, if you run...

ping svrname

it resolves the name to an IP and pings fine. If you run...

ping -a 10.100.100.7

it does not resolve the server name but does ping. It does work on other computers just not this one.

I have never setup a reverse lookup zone in our DNS because I did not think we needed one but fine I did it. The problem now is I am getting the following error...

The DNS server encountered error 32 attempting to load zone 100.100.10.in-addr.arpa from Active Directory. The DNS server will attempt to load this zone again on the next timeout cycle. This can be caused by high Active Directory load and may be a transient condition.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I click the Support Link it simply says Microsoft has no solution to this problem yet. Can any one help us?

G

This topic has been moved from the section Toms Network to section Networking by Grumpy9117

riser

Illustrious
Open your DNS console and try to manually reload the zone from a known working DNS server.
If that doesn't work, delete the zone and reload it again from another DNS server.

Are both computers using the same DNS Server?