CCC Error "INF file not found" during install - please help

dastrock

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I have an on board AMD ATI Radeon HD 4200 chipset. The OS is W-7, 64 bit. I am unable to install any drivers from AMD because I get the message "...INF File Not Found". I have tried completely uninstalling anything ATI related before trying to re-install the drivers. No luck. I have used Registry Booster and Ace Utilities. Still no luck. I have searched the Net for an answer and even joined this group in hopes of finding the cure. Anything leading to a solution would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

DAS

jds248

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Can you please post which file is missing? (The entire error, pls)

Did you reinstall windows or something? I'm thinking maybe you're missing a prereq driver. Sometimes sequence counts.

dastrock

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Once the Catalyst Control is installed, next comes the display driver. It is at this point I get the message: "Driver Install: the INF file was not found". That is the exact wording. In answer to the question of a re-install. This computer is new. I built it myself and installed W-7 Ultimate 64 bit. Everything else seems to run flawlessly.

I ran a check within Windows and it searched MS for a solution and I got a message back saying that there was no solution at this time; but, when one became available, I would receive a notification in the Action Center.

Thanks for offering to help. I hope you are able to.

DAS

jds248

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I'm having a problem now with CCC. It's a little different so I won't get into it...yet. But a have a couple more questions.
- Did the motherboard of the PC you just built come with a setup disc? I'm assuming you ran the util(s) you should have. But if not, that could already be trouble.

-I'm not familiar with AMD on board graphics, but i wonder if updating the chipset drivers first might help.

-What version of CCC are you installing?

-Where did you get the drivers for the card itself, that you're installing after CCC?

I think you might resolve the issue if you go back, remove everything again as you did before (everything video related), update AMD-system drivers (i.e. chipset, bios, graphics?) that came with the motherboard. I've had the least trouble when I do that absolutely first. From there, knowing what CCC version you're installing (11.x) is important. I already know I'm sitting on a problem where the latest CCC from ATI causes my new vid card to freak out. So I'm without CCC for the moment. I have to check the Sapphire site specifically to see if there's a fix.

dastrock

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I have tried the original drivers from ASUS, as well as AMD ATI CCC 11.8 and the latest 11.9 Always with the same results. I am not too inexperienced here which is why I have sought help on line. I have five active computers, all custom built by me. Three of them have ATI Cards, two (including the problem computer) have on board graphics. All have AMD processors except for one Intel MB and CPU.

Thanks anyway.

DAS

jds248

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I wasn't aware of, from your post, how experienced you were.

Did you look into any log files to see if more detail on the missing (or inaccessbile) file was captured? Might also help to post the kind of motherboard you're working on.