CPU Heatsink touching case door

JBADS

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
As the thread reads, when I ordered my case I was not thinking about the size much all I knew was that it was an ATX mid case. I figured that will work, well I installed my heatsink and after putting everything together my heatsink somewhat is being pushed against my door of my case. My issue, worry about it or not? Should I purchase a different heatsink or just continue using what I purchased.

Solution
Depends on how MUCH pressure. Do you feel the pressure exerted from the DOOR could cause the heatsink to put too much pressure on the mounts, or lift, or etc etc. Or is the heatsink putting pressure on the door, causing the door to 'warp' or 'give'? Gotta remember your physics and the exertion forces, whatever rule of Newton that is... hehe

If you're not worried about the door or more importantly the heatsink, I'd say you're safe status quo unless you start noticing vibration sounds transmitting to the door and then only if it bugs you :)

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Depends on how MUCH pressure. Do you feel the pressure exerted from the DOOR could cause the heatsink to put too much pressure on the mounts, or lift, or etc etc. Or is the heatsink putting pressure on the door, causing the door to 'warp' or 'give'? Gotta remember your physics and the exertion forces, whatever rule of Newton that is... hehe

If you're not worried about the door or more importantly the heatsink, I'd say you're safe status quo unless you start noticing vibration sounds transmitting to the door and then only if it bugs you :)

Solution

JBADS

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I actually double checked through looking through the back of the case to the inside and the heatsink is not actually touching the door only the fan connected to the heatsink might be slightly. I think it will be alright, it is my first build I am getting really picky about my build ever since I have been looking at solid builds. Not much pressure either hardly any, and it is not damaging the door in any way.

Thank you for the advice.

If the interference is 3/32" or less, it will work fine! You will notice a slight bulge in the case side, and you will have to push in the rear end in order for the screws to line up with the tapped holes.

The interference can easily be measured by measuring the shift in the rear screws and the tapped holes. I am aware that this is a proportional measurement, but for our purposes this will suffice.

Vibrations and noise from the heatsink fan will be an issue. This can be dampened by inserting a 0.010" (or 0.015") thick soft plastic (or urethane) shim. Use scotch tape to keep in place when you take the cover off for servicing the computer.