Computer randomly shuts off

bcmonks

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Whenever i'm playing games for a while, or whenever I try to do a test for the windows score thing, (can't remember the name). My computer just shuts off, I then have to pull the plug out of my psu, then press the power button, then put the cord back in, and then it will start back up again. I also notice that my psu is pretty hot after this. I recently got a new mobo and overclocked my cpu, so maybe that has something to do it with it. Also there is a connector for pwr fan coming out of my psu that should go into my mobo, but the cord is too short so I didn't bother putting it in, maybe this is why? Here's my specs:

motherboard: ASRock 870 extreme R3.0

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2ghz ~ OC to 4.0GHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1G

RAM: (No idea what type) 4 x 2g

PSU: Delta 460W ( This psu is from Dell and I was told that this is a very good quality psu and should be good for 500W)

CPU FAN: Hyper 212 evo with a push pull config

Not sure if there is anything else, don't hesitate to ask if I missed something.

Solution
I personally prefer Corsair power supplies myself. Others might recommend a different brand, but i've never had any problems with 80+ bronze certified Corsair PSU i've owned. All the research i could find shows to SLI that card, you would do well with a 650 or 700w psu. I don't have that card personally, so i can't speak from personal experience on that part.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Have you checked the temps while gaming? Could be an overheating issue. The PWR_Fan header is probably to monitor and control the Power Supply Fan with the motherboard's software package. I would attempt to plug the power supply fan connector into a spare fan header on your motherboard and see if that alleviates the problems. Also, running a temp monitoring program while gaming could help you narrow down the problem to whether or not it's related to heat.

That's the first time I've heard of a fan power connector from the PSU needing to be plugged in to the mobo. Reboots under stress is a typical indication of overheating...does the PSU fan operate? If not, then I would say that it is overheating when you stress the system and that is causing the shutdowns.

bcmonks

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
The connector on the psu is so short that I can't plug it into any fan header, and if you mean heat like cpu heat, i've never hit over 40 C. If I was going to get a good psu, what would you recommend? I would like to eventually get Xfire when this card isnt doing what it used to. Also I would like a modular one.

bcmonks

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

When I feel under the psu through the case, I can feel it pulling air, and it's very cold. But after is shuts itself off, it's very hot from where the air comes out of the psu.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I personally prefer Corsair power supplies myself. Others might recommend a different brand, but i've never had any problems with 80+ bronze certified Corsair PSU i've owned. All the research i could find shows to SLI that card, you would do well with a 650 or 700w psu. I don't have that card personally, so i can't speak from personal experience on that part.

Solution