Fx8120 heat problem

bf2player1978

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
new fx 8120 i have it oc'ed to 3.4ghz but it seem to hot. underfull load on prime95 it gets to 6.9c...when i applied the heatsink i put a thin layer on both heatsink and chip. using artic alummina siver. in bios it says it is 45c no load. cpuid shows 24c idle. i have an after market cooler so now i ask what do i do? stock 3.1 is not much cooler btw.

Solution
I think you may have too much paste. Thermal paste has an excellent heat transfer, but can't hold any heat. If its too thick, it can't transfer from one surface to the next, instead just transfers it back to the original surface, so to speak.

You could try pusing down while rotating the heatsink to make sure the contact is good, it may also squish the paste out, wich wouldn't be a bad thing.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I think you may have too much paste. Thermal paste has an excellent heat transfer, but can't hold any heat. If its too thick, it can't transfer from one surface to the next, instead just transfers it back to the original surface, so to speak.

You could try pusing down while rotating the heatsink to make sure the contact is good, it may also squish the paste out, wich wouldn't be a bad thing.

Solution

loneninja

Distinguished
Your getting similar temps as you would with the stock cooler which doesn't surprise me after looking up your Evercool cooler, it's rather low end.

It appears it was designed for the old Athlon FX and Athlon X2 processors, and the fan blowing air towards the top of the case rather than exhausting it out the back doesn't help(unless you have a top exhaust).

bf2player1978

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

good call, i removed heat paste from heatsink, then reseated it. My temp went down by 10c.... now it is reading 57.8c under full load....thanks

You need a better cooler for the FX-8120. I have my FX-8120 on a XSPC 750 RS240 water cooler and under Prime95 my CPU has never gone higher than 34c under full load but with the stock cooler it would rise to over 60c in seconds. My CPU is running at 4ghz with just a multiplier overclock at stock voltage.

TRENDING THREADS