Sign in with
Your question

New mobo wont start

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2013 4:51:40 PM

Hello,
I have bought an Asus P8Z77-V LX with i5-3570K and 8gb of Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 (2 sticks of 4gb).
The psu is existing (OCZ500MXSP 500w) and i plan to use the existing graphics (Radeon HD5850). I have not installed the graphics at this point as wanted to check everything else was ok first.
However, after installing the new mobo etc i am getting no power and it will not boot, and no fans even attempt at spinning up. I have double, triple and checked again all connections. There is a power led on the mobo that lights up but absolutely nothing else....

What could this be?
Any ideas will be gratefully received as spent hours on this now. I think may be a dead mobo but how could I check? (I don’t have another system to swap bits with). The instructions say you need a min of 450w so I’m sure the psu I have must be good enough to at least load into windows or the cpu fan to spin up.

Thanks for any help....

More about : mobo wont start

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 5, 2013 9:49:05 PM

Hi, Try firstly checking the power supply: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4 (connect also a fan to the PSU molex).
If the fans do spin, try taking the board outside the case and testing it with only CPU and CPU fan installed.
January 6, 2013 9:22:43 AM

Hi alexoiu
Thanks for that. I tried that tip and the case fan and psu spun up, so presumably that means the motherboard is doa?

I have tried connecting up similar to how you suggest with only cpu and its fan installed, but nothing (i left it in the case but used a flat screwdriver to bridge power switch on the header pins - again nothing happens apart from the green led).

Incidentally i don't have an internal speaker to hear for any beeps. I've searched through the asus site and they recommend connecting one to diagnose this sort of issue - any ideas on improvising one? I can only find them to buy on ebay and not locally.

Thanks again
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 10:56:45 AM

Before RMA-ing the board, try testing it though outside the case.
!