Temps seem too low.

phung1s

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
so i just moved an avg. rig to a new phantom 410 case.

-1 intake fan
-2 exhaust fans (rear/top)
-phenom 2 x4 960t be @3.7ghz (200mhz x 18.5)
-nzxt havik 120mm heatsink

i was reading core temps 17deg @idle, which seemed low to me, but its relatively cool in my living room. Running Large FFts in orthos it wasn't passing 20deg. I'm now running Large FFts in orthos and prime95 x64 (simultaneously) on all 4 cores and haven't surpassed 22deg. Currently I've had both tests running for about a half hour and temps are jumping to and fro 21/22deg. I'm just wondering if this seems reasonable or do i perhaps have a defective temp sensor?

edit: I should also note that im using multiple temp monitoring programs and get similar results in multiple linux distros and win7 64.

phung1s

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
@jsc, pretty much how i feel about it, i suppose ill rma the proc. i'm not really comfortable running it any faster and thats just plain boring. on the other hand, maybe nzxt would buy my screenshots if i clocked it outta-this-world and maintained similar temps ;)

phung1s

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
interesting development...im not sure why i didn't think to do this in the first place...blame the leap day...but in bios cpu temp idled @30deg. what could possibly be causing this?

OK. So the BIOS is telling you that the temp sensor is working. 30 C is a reasonable temp. That's good news.

But for some reason, Windows and Linux utilities are not reading the temps properly.

The only time I have this before is with a newly released processor and out of date software. And I do not think that is likely here.

phung1s

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
was reading Core Temp faq' and found this:

http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=892

Why is the temperature of my Phenom based processor lower than the ambient temperature?
Starting with the Phenoms, AMD's digital sensor no longer reports an absolute temperature value anymore, but a reading with a certain offset, which is unknown. It is estimated that this offset is between 10 - 15c.

a 15c offset would coincide with my idle temp in bios. but i feel like under load it should be much higher than ~22c on air. hmmmm.