Audio crackling (narrowed down to SSD?)

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Just installed a new SSD (120GB OCZ) on my new build, which initially had a HDD and now I'm getting audio crackling during music playback (through hdmi or headphones). I unplugged the SSD and booted up using my HDD and the audio playback is crystal clear. I checked the drivers and they are exactly the same on both devices. So I'm thinking the problem is coming from the SSD.

I saw some similar threads to this where some suggested it might be a grounding problem. I have the SSD mounted using a cheap plastic bracket, might this be the issue? I took the bracket off and it seems to reduce the crackling, but not eliminate it. I guess my question is, is this a bad SSD that I need to get replaced by manufacturer or should I order a metal bracket for it or maybe some other problem is occuring? Sorry for the long description, maybe this should be posted in the SSD section.

System info:

AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte 970 motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD6570
16GB Corsair DDR3
500W Cooler Master PSU
120GB OCZ Agility SSD
2TB Seagate HDD

Solution
Do drive test programs give you anything? If not, RMA, I'd say. Do switch the SSD and HDD's SATA ports and cables first, though, just to eliminate more variables.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I hooked up a ground wire and tried grounding all over the case and putting it in contact with the usb ports, but it didn't seem to help. Anything else I can try?

I'm thinking of returning it since it is a new drive. Do you think it is a problem with the SSD itself or my system? My HDD isn't having any problems.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Update: I sent the SSD back, got a new one a now everything works fine. So it was a defective drive. Just for reference in case others have a similar problem it was an OCZ Agility 3 120GB.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
It looks like I spoke too soon about the new SSD solving the problem. The audio problem started occuring again on all audio tracks. Obviously this was really annoying so I did a lot more research and found someone posting about issues with SSD and bios settings.

Anyway, it appears the ultimate problem was the AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control on my Gigabyte mobo. I disabled this and no longer have any problems. I guess it has something to do with the power changes from that setting and the SSD.

I just wanted to make sure I posted this for others with a similar system.