Sign in with
Your question

Girlfriend Spilled Ice Tea into Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2011 4:53:25 AM

I have or should I say had, a i5 2500K setup with a GTX 560Ti 8GB RAM. Some iced tea spilled through the top vent of my Antec 300, probably a tablespoon worth of ice tea. The computer was on when this happened, I panicked and immediately removed the power cord. I examined the inside of the case to discover drops of ice tea on areas of the motherboard and on the GPU. I tried air drying the motherboard, and then tested the out the PC and originally it would come on for a second and then shut off. After several attempts of trying to turn it on it eventually did. I thought I was set when it turned on, but when it finally stayed powered on the monitor would not get signal from the GPU. After this I assumed the GPU was fried but I tested another video card and that didn't work either, both graphic cards fans had power and were spinning. So I took the computer apart wiped the sticky dried up ice tea off the motherboard with alcohol thinking it could solve the no signal from the monitors, but nothing has worked. The motherboard lights come on, I've tested both PCI-E slots, neither get me an image. Is my motherboard fried? What should I do P67A-G43 is my motherboard thanks for any replies
November 28, 2011 5:54:35 PM

The iced tea probably shorted out multiple components but you might be able to RMA the damaged components. Disconnect the power and use a damp cloth to remove the iced tea residue. Use a fan or compressed air to dry all of the areas and test the system again. Good luck.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2011 5:56:22 PM

That's your story and you're sticking to it???
Antec 300 top fan blows upward and the blades would sling the liqiud laterally, into the sides of the case. If you have a large block HSF on the CPU that would also mitigate any liquid from continuing onto the GPU.. A teaspoon? I doubt it.. A cup maybe.
This has more of a plugging/unplugging something on the MB with the PSU plugged in ore even ON scenario.

Did your dog eat your homework when you were in middle school?
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2011 6:14:33 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
That's your story and you're sticking to it???
Antec 300 top fan blows upward and the blades would sling the liqiud laterally, into the sides of the case. If you have a large block HSF on the CPU that would also mitigate any liquid from continuing onto the GPU.. A teaspoon? I doubt it.. A cup maybe.
This has more of a plugging/unplugging something on the MB with the PSU plugged in ore even ON scenario.

Did your dog eat your homework when you were in middle school?

Bwahahahaha.... agreed...

You shorted out your motherboard.... the liquid caused a connection between two circuits that are NOT supposed to be connected..... so you need a new motherboard.. Although, I do know that the Antec 300 has a bottom mounted Power supply... which would be right under the Top fan(if somehow it bypassed your CPU heatsink and GPU.... which I doubt it did) But simple enough to try another Power Supply.

I'm guessing the liquid splashed and a little droplet managed to "arch" to points and fry your motherboard.... sorry. Think of it this way... your girlfriend owes you BIG TIME.... that's worth a few days without a PC... right?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2011 6:20:43 PM

lol, great story! maybe next time you will think more clearly about your 'need' for relationships, computers just dont mix with them and are vastly more important.

jk of course.

Anywho, in an attempt to help;
Take apart EVERYTHING. remove the cpu, all cards, wires, remove everything from the case. Take a very soft toothbrush with distilled and deionized water and give the computer a nice little scrub down. Remember, do not be abbrasive, the toothbrush is just to get in all the little cracks and crevices, not to apply pressure. Then clean all the thermal paste from the CPU and apply new paste before reinstalling the heatsink.

Then put it all back together. It may not work if any real voltage crossed the tea and killed something, but it is much more likely that a small voltage was applied to something just enough to keep the power supply from kicking in.

Good luck, and I hope that you can afford new parts if needed!
m
l
November 28, 2011 8:02:15 PM

Thanks for all your replies, only a few drops of ice tea made it through my 120MM heatsink and of course my 560 ti Twin frozr was right beneath it so a few drops landed on that. The fans still work on the 560Ti, the motherboard powers on and the lights on the motherboard come up. The powersupply is a raidmax 530 that still glows blue so Im guessing it still works. I hear the hard drive discs spin up when I power up the PC. I've tried cleaning the motherboard with a cloth and some alcohol but I didnt completely take it apart. I will try the toothbrush method Caeden. Do you guys think a few drops on the GPU ruined it? The fans on it still work.
m
l
November 28, 2011 8:36:25 PM

freshed05 said:
Thanks for all your replies, only a few drops of ice tea made it through my 120MM heatsink and of course my 560 ti Twin frozr was right beneath it so a few drops landed on that. The fans still work on the 560Ti, the motherboard powers on and the lights on the motherboard come up. The powersupply is a raidmax 530 that still glows blue so Im guessing it still works. I hear the hard drive discs spin up when I power up the PC. I've tried cleaning the motherboard with a cloth and some alcohol but I didnt completely take it apart. I will try the toothbrush method Caeden. Do you guys think a few drops on the GPU ruined it? The fans on it still work.

probably not... but one thing you can do if you really want to take time to test everything is to give it a good cleaning with alcohol or deionized water then stick in a bag/box of rice for a day... the rice will absorb the leftover moisture then give it a try... it's probably your best bet
m
l
November 28, 2011 11:59:17 PM

I tried using the toothbrush to clean motherboard, but instead of water I used 70% alcohol. I rubbed down all areas of the motherboard with a some alcohol, used a leaf blower to dry the hell out of the motherboard, tested it. Im actually getting some type of response now when I plug in my DVI cable into the 560Ti, before I would get no response at all my monitor would have a box moving around the screen saying to insert HDMI cable or something. So now I just get a blank imagine when I connect the monitor to the GPU. So I turn on the PC, hard discs spin up motherboard lights up GPU fans kick on but only get a black screen. Is it time to call up MSI for an RMA? What should I tell them?
m
l
November 29, 2011 2:04:49 AM

Sorry, I do not agree with you RMAing anything... MSI should not have to pay for your girlfriends' mistake. Make her pay for it...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2011 8:35:24 AM

1. Try re-cleanning+drying your system before buying something new.
2. It is absolute unfair if you RMA your mobo to its manufacturers because of this. I highly against this!
3. Discuss how you will handle this with your girlfriend, if she does not want to take responsibility. It is better to find a new girl friend.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2011 4:46:35 PM

My girlfriend once did the same thing, so needless to say I left her......Just kidding, shes dead.

In all seriousness though, your girlfriend's being irresponsible with your valued belongings is not the manufacturer's fault/problem.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2011 5:33:36 PM

I can say from experience, even if you rip a chip off of your gpu's pcb, it may still power on and fans may still spin, but there won't be any signal to the monitor. This of course also depends on what chip you rip out, or what you short out.

Even though I ripped a chip off of the pcb, I sent EVGA a detailed explanation of exactly what I did, and detailed pictures of the damage I caused, and they accepted the RMA, and once they received the shipment, they shipped out a replacement the next day, no charge.

Be completely honest and disclose all the facts in detail. They may accept your RMA anyway. Your mileage may vary.
m
l
December 20, 2011 7:13:35 PM

Ok so I told MSI my story, I think they felt bad for me and decided to repair the motherboard. I sent it in 2 weeks ago and got it back yesterday. I put the PC back together and I'm still having the same problem. I tried testing with another GPU and its still no different. I've tried using every stick (4sticks) individually in the first slot and no change. When I power up the computer, everything lights up on the motherboard, I hear the hard drive discs spin up, all the fans work, the GPUs fans work, but cant get anything to come up on the monitor. Is the RAM bad? CPU bad? have the connectors\cables\pins been effected from the ice tea?

m
l
December 20, 2011 7:23:25 PM

I'd suggest swapping the power supply. Do you hear a POST beep?
m
l
December 20, 2011 11:51:31 PM

Are you sure the Monitor works? Do you have it set to the right input?
m
l
December 21, 2011 12:04:08 AM

i would just get a new board.
m
l
December 21, 2011 10:21:12 PM

I'd try a different power supply. I've heard a lot of bad things about raidmax units...
m
l
December 23, 2011 12:55:52 AM

My monitor works, my powersupply lights up blue like it normally does, and everything else powers up (fans HD etc) so doesnt that mean the powersupply is making power and is good? Could my CPU be bad? maybe they didnt fix my motherboard? Ram bad?
m
l
December 23, 2011 5:33:38 PM

CPU would normally not allow you to Turn it on more than a few seconds... RAM would normally beep at you, and I doubt all 4 sticks went bad... Just cause you PSU lights up blue doesn't mean anything, that's just an LED...

Bad GPU... do you have another one to try... or try another PCI-E slot?
m
l
March 9, 2012 6:22:20 PM

I've tested all of my components on another pc, powersupply, graphics card, RAM, hard drive, everything worked, except for my CPU. So is it possible that my CPU was damaged? I tried cleaning the pins on the cpu i inspected it in the light and it looked fine so is it possible that my cpu was damaged?
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:41:47 PM

I assume you don't have a Z68 board (i couldn't tell), but do you have a DVI to HDMI converter? maybe that broke.
m
l
March 10, 2012 4:47:31 PM

Ive tried a different cable ive tested all of my components on a different board and they all worked, except the CPU. So is it possible that my CPU was damaged during the spill?
m
l
March 10, 2012 5:04:48 PM

freshed05 said:
Ive tried a different cable ive tested all of my components on a different board and they all worked, except the CPU. So is it possible that my CPU was damaged during the spill?

Yes, it possible for the CPU to have been damaged.

If you haven't yet, you can try submerging your CPU into distilled water and brush it while it is submerged.

The biggest problem with any water based drink (aside from the fact that being a conductor it will short a bunch of connections) is the fact that there is usually sugar in the drink.

Alcohol won't dissolve sugar (but may help dislodge it). It is possible that there may still be some sugar either on some of the socket pins (unlikely put certainly possible) or on the CPU itself.

If you could borrow a CPU and install it on your motherboard, that would be helpful in determining where the problem might be at this point. I know it may not be easy to find a "temporary CPU" but, if you can, it would be very helpful. The other test that would be helpful is to install your CPU into a system that works (not exactly easy/convenient either but if you can that would be great) and see what happens.

Moral: don't drink and compute ;) 

HTH

m
l
!