Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 installation problem windows cannot be installed to this disk

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2011 9:06:18 PM

Hello,

CPU=amd x2 4000 ; MOBO= Biostar TF 520 A2 ; Hard drive= WD5000, 500 gb.

Cannot upgrade from xp 32 bit to 7 64 bit.

Ran clean install, get stuck on the choose partition screen
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2012 5:12:23 AM

Do you have an optical drive installed on the motherboard? Remove it and leave only the hard drive plugged into the first port and retry the installation.
m
l
January 9, 2012 10:14:44 PM

skaz said:
Do you have an optical drive installed on the motherboard? Remove it and leave only the hard drive plugged into the first port and retry the installation.

But I'm booting off the Seven disk from the optical drive. Perhaps I misunderstand?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2012 11:09:50 PM

If your motherboard allows it you can boot from a USB drive. Not really a solution I suppose though. Or you could try formatting the hard drive first.
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:53:20 PM

When you get to the choose partition screen, there is an option called "Drive Options(Advanced)". From There, Delete any existing partitions untill you have "Unallocated Space." Then, You should be able to create a new partition and continue with the install.
m
l
January 11, 2012 4:28:21 AM

Is the issue that the drives not recognized? Because if that the case, you can sometimes find the hard drive drivers from manufacturers support website. If your computer has some sort of RAID controller, you will definitely require those drivers. Can load them on a USB flash drive and load them during the installation process.
m
l
January 20, 2012 1:12:18 AM

None of the above suggestions worked for me. My board is Vista 64 bit compliant so I figured that a 7 install would not be a problem. However, there is no Bios update for my board that includes 7 so I think that has got to be the problem.

So I have purchased a newer 790G chipset MOBO that is 7 compliant so we will see what happens when it is delivered.
m
l
August 5, 2012 9:44:02 AM

dkcihu said:
When you get to the choose partition screen, there is an option called "Drive Options(Advanced)". From There, Delete any existing partitions untill you have "Unallocated Space." Then, You should be able to create a new partition and continue with the install.

Thanks for this solution. IT WORKS! It's great to find someone who can give a simple answer to a problem.
m
l
August 12, 2012 2:01:23 AM

MOBO not compatible with windows 7! New mobo fixed prob!
m
l
!