Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU Suggestions?

Last response: in Components
Share
March 1, 2012 5:39:02 AM

So a couple days ago my new PC randomly shut off. Also I mean it just shut right off no power down ect. just off. It's working fine now hasn't done it again since. I don't know if the PSU was to blame but someone told me to change my settings so that there is a log should my PC crash again.


I didn't know what PSU I had so I took it off flipped it over and discovered it to be a Xtreme Gear 500W ATX Model# XG-P500. Apparently one those "get rid of ASAP" PSU I'm new to computers and since I didn't build this I have no clue what to look fort when buying a PSU or what is a good model.

Here are my PC specs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2
Processor: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM

One thing though I do plan on picking up a better Graphics Card later this year someone recommend a 6870?

I would want the price to stay around $50 if you could. Thanks.

More about : psu suggestions

Best solution

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 5:43:52 AM

I found this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it's $45 with mir and the promo code . All XFX psu's are great (made by seasonic) .
Share
Related resources
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 6:06:06 AM

Hellsrage said:
And it will work with my rig? lol

Also would it handle a new GPU?


Yes for both. It won't have enough if you plan to crossfire your 6870's.
m
0
l
March 1, 2012 6:22:41 AM

Quote:
Yes for both. It won't have enough if you plan to crossfire your 6870's.



Alright well I bought it. Thank you.

Yeah well for the time being I only have a 6670.

I plan on picking up a 6870 or if someone recommend something better? But at some point this year I will be buying a new card I plan on waiting and seeing what deals pop up later this year.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 6:28:59 AM

Hellsrage said:
Alright well I bought it. Thank you.

Yeah well for the time being I only have a 6670.

I plan on picking up a 6870 or if someone recommend something better? But at some point this year I will be buying a new card I plan on waiting and seeing what deals pop up later this year.


For price/performance you can't beat a 6870 especially if you can find one for $150. the 560 ti is about 12% faster and usually hovers around $200.
m
0
l
March 1, 2012 6:35:17 AM

Quote:
For price/performance you can't beat a 6870 especially if you can find one for $150. the 560 ti is about 12% faster and usually hovers around $200.


So I have been told well I don't plan on crossfiring if I do get one or at least any time soon.

Thanks for the help!

Now to learn cable management when I get the thing. xD
m
0
l
March 1, 2012 6:44:45 AM

Best answer selected by Hellsrage.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 6:48:16 AM

Hellsrage said:
So I have been told well I don't plan on crossfiring if I do get one or at least any time soon.

Thanks for the help!

Now to learn cable management when I get the thing. xD


The key to cable management is planning ahead.
m
0
l
!