Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Totally wrong, I meant it in the Z68 (1155) platform that way you can upgrade straight with a ivybridge.

i7 2600K (if you really need the HT or a 2500K will more than surfice, there is not a game around nor foreseeable that will bottleneck this CPU)
Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z (Z68)
Antec HCP 1200
2xGTX 580

It will cost you as much as a Motherboard and CPU on the Socket 2011 platform and pretty much pwn it in price/performance. SBE is not really like the old 771/1366 platforms, its a desktop trim server platform with gimmicks like 3-4 way which has been seen in AMD motherboards for a long time and also...

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
What kind of work do you do? Anything CPU intensive?

Games will not benefit from >4 cores. This includes CPUs with hyper threading.

i5-2500k is the best gaming CPU within reasonable margin (no other CPUs surpass it by more than a few frames due to games being poorly multi-threaded >3 cores/threads) at the very low price of ~$220.

Ivy Bridge is coming out in June introducing 22nm to the CPU world and you'll have a CPU capable of ~10%+ of OC headroom and ~5% IPC increase, with similar pricing to Sandy Bridge.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
If you really can't wait for 2 months you might want to purchase something low cost like an i3-2100. It may be enough to keep you going til then assuming you can't wait.

What GPU are you going to use? The i3-2100 is capable of handling any single GPU out there and mid-range SLI/Crossfire.

Then you can get yourself an i5-3750K (to replace the i5-2500K).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-LGA1155,14325.html

AveragePerformance.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859.html

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
If your waiting for ivybridge you may want to wait on the next gen of Nvidia cards too which should come soon. Maybe get something a little more basic from the 500 series now and then hold back to get a top of the line 600 series to go with the Ivybridge when you get that.

Totally wrong, I meant it in the Z68 (1155) platform that way you can upgrade straight with a ivybridge.

i7 2600K (if you really need the HT or a 2500K will more than surfice, there is not a game around nor foreseeable that will bottleneck this CPU)
Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z (Z68)
Antec HCP 1200
2xGTX 580

It will cost you as much as a Motherboard and CPU on the Socket 2011 platform and pretty much pwn it in price/performance. SBE is not really like the old 771/1366 platforms, its a desktop trim server platform with gimmicks like 3-4 way which has been seen in AMD motherboards for a long time and also prominant on X58 boards. In short you can blow $5000 plus on a X79/SBE and be rather disappointed down the line, certainly be out performed by a standard IB desktop chip.

Solution
We are obviously not trying to tell you what to buy, however I feel money can be saved and put towards things that will notably improve your performance, a 3960X on a ASUS Extreme X79 may give you a 10% improvement at best over a 2700K on a Z68 ASUS Extreme motherboard. I will go further to say that you really don't need a ROG motherboard which will save you more, similarly you don't really need a 2700K when a $200 2500K will more than destroy any game around, all the dollars saved can go into the GPU side and/or PSU where the notable gains will be made.

Essentially it comes down to what you will be happy with, a x79/SB-e is a good platform, but maybe not as relevent as it may necessitate the cost of it. If you buy a SBE setup I am sure you will be pleased in the same manner as a SB setup. Whatever your final choice, enjoy your setup......I am sure you will.

gxavier38

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

I forgot to tell you, the SB-E CPU was for futureproofing. I want it to play BF3 type games in 3 years (Comparing BF3 to current hardware, If you know what I mean...). Will that help? I'm waiting for the top of the line Ivy-bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.