Closed Solved

Which is better?

I saw these processors:
Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

Why is it that the 3820 has 3.6Ghz when the 3930K costs more?
I'm gonna buy one of those, so give me advice. Which is better?
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which better
  1. The 3930 has 6 cores the 3820 only has 4.

What do you plan on using the system for?
  2. Gaming and work. Cool, 6 cores?
  3. Ask yourself if you need a $600 6-core processor for either gaming or work. Probably not.
  4. For gaming the 3820 would be better, but for multi core tasks like video encoding the 3930 would be slightly better.
  5. Why do you want a Sandybridge-E CPU? If you're wanting a decent system for gaming, go for an i5-2500K CPU. The Sandybridge-E range is enthusiast-oriented and might not be best for your aims.
  6. What kind of work do you do? Anything CPU intensive?

Games will not benefit from >4 cores. This includes CPUs with hyper threading.

i5-2500k is the best gaming CPU within reasonable margin (no other CPUs surpass it by more than a few frames due to games being poorly multi-threaded >3 cores/threads) at the very low price of ~$220.

Ivy Bridge is coming out in June introducing 22nm to the CPU world and you'll have a CPU capable of ~10%+ of OC headroom and ~5% IPC increase, with similar pricing to Sandy Bridge.
  7. What socket is Ivy-Bridge going to use?
  8. Socket 1155 (same as sandybridge) . 22nm has been delayed until June though.
  9. Ah, so I better get the normal 2500 one then, while waiting for Ivy-Bridge.
  10. If you really can't wait for 2 months you might want to purchase something low cost like an i3-2100. It may be enough to keep you going til then assuming you can't wait.

What GPU are you going to use? The i3-2100 is capable of handling any single GPU out there and mid-range SLI/Crossfire.

Then you can get yourself an i5-3750K (to replace the i5-2500K).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-LGA1155,14325.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859.html
  11. I'm thinking about single 590 for now, then adding another one in SLI in the near future.
  12. I wouldn't buy a GTX590, I would buy a GTX580 or wait for Kepler if you want to stick to Nvidia.

With the money you will save not going with a 2011 build, you can throw a 2500K on a Asus Maximus Extreme Z and live the dream.
  13. If your waiting for ivybridge you may want to wait on the next gen of Nvidia cards too which should come soon. Maybe get something a little more basic from the 500 series now and then hold back to get a top of the line 600 series to go with the Ivybridge when you get that.
  14. Sure, I was thinking of an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme to go with an LGA 2011 Socket, but I decided to wait for Ivy-Bridge.
  15. Best answer
    gxavier38 said:
    Sure, I was thinking of an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme to go with an LGA 2011 Socket, but I decided to wait for Ivy-Bridge.

Totally wrong, I meant it in the Z68 (1155) platform that way you can upgrade straight with a ivybridge.

i7 2600K (if you really need the HT or a 2500K will more than surfice, there is not a game around nor foreseeable that will bottleneck this CPU)
    Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z (Z68)
    Antec HCP 1200
    2xGTX 580

It will cost you as much as a Motherboard and CPU on the Socket 2011 platform and pretty much pwn it in price/performance. SBE is not really like the old 771/1366 platforms, its a desktop trim server platform with gimmicks like 3-4 way which has been seen in AMD motherboards for a long time and also prominant on X58 boards. In short you can blow $5000 plus on a X79/SBE and be rather disappointed down the line, certainly be out performed by a standard IB desktop chip.
  16. Thanks for the reply.
  17. Best answer selected by Gxavier38.
  18. We are obviously not trying to tell you what to buy, however I feel money can be saved and put towards things that will notably improve your performance, a 3960X on a ASUS Extreme X79 may give you a 10% improvement at best over a 2700K on a Z68 ASUS Extreme motherboard. I will go further to say that you really don't need a ROG motherboard which will save you more, similarly you don't really need a 2700K when a $200 2500K will more than destroy any game around, all the dollars saved can go into the GPU side and/or PSU where the notable gains will be made.

Essentially it comes down to what you will be happy with, a x79/SB-e is a good platform, but maybe not as relevent as it may necessitate the cost of it. If you buy a SBE setup I am sure you will be pleased in the same manner as a SB setup. Whatever your final choice, enjoy your setup......I am sure you will.
  19. Thanks, the rog motherboard was because of my graphics card. I was going for an asus direct cu ii card and that's the only one I found that supported sli with triple slot cards.
  20. I better see pictures of this beast later on :) Also the colors should match up pretty nicely, just get red/black parts (get black veangence ram for this one)
  21. sarinaide said:
    We are obviously not trying to tell you what to buy, however I feel money can be saved and put towards things that will notably improve your performance, a 3960X on a ASUS Extreme X79 may give you a 10% improvement at best over a 2700K on a Z68 ASUS Extreme motherboard. I will go further to say that you really don't need a ROG motherboard which will save you more, similarly you don't really need a 2700K when a $200 2500K will more than destroy any game around, all the dollars saved can go into the GPU side and/or PSU where the notable gains will be made.

Essentially it comes down to what you will be happy with, a x79/SB-e is a good platform, but maybe not as relevent as it may necessitate the cost of it. If you buy a SBE setup I am sure you will be pleased in the same manner as a SB setup. Whatever your final choice, enjoy your setup......I am sure you will.

I forgot to tell you, the SB-E CPU was for futureproofing. I want it to play BF3 type games in 3 years (Comparing BF3 to current hardware, If you know what I mean...). Will that help? I'm waiting for the top of the line Ivy-bridge.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge Intel i7 Intel