Sign in with
Your question

Intel ivy bridge chipset

Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2012 10:55:39 AM

I am using a motherboard with the z68 chipset and am wondering if i got ivy bridge if i would need a new motherboard.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 11:04:52 AM

I believe Ivy is backwards compatible with 1155 motherboard's but i believe it requires a motherboard update. As for the X79 motherboards, its supported native.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 11:13:06 AM

Rockdpm said:
I believe Ivy is backwards compatible with 1155 motherboard's but i believe it requires a motherboard update. As for the X79 motherboards, its supported native.

X79 DOES NOT support ivybridge, thats an SB-E board which may support IVB-E if there is ever such a thing.

Leaked slides have indicated that z68 will support ivybridge.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-LGA-1155...

Bear in mind this is leaked, there has been NO official word from Intel on this.
Related resources
March 1, 2012 11:15:21 AM

dose this mean i need a new motherboard.
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 11:22:15 AM

afaik, to run an ivb cpu on a z68 (or h67, h61, p67) motherboard you need to update your bios then replace the sb cpu with ivb cpu. brands like msi and asrock already made bios updates available, others may have done the same as well. check your mobo's website.
ivb's will have its own chipsets (z77, z75, h77) - those enable native usb support, more sata ports among other things.
you'll find out when ivb gets released. so far i've seen at least one 'leaked' bench with an ivb i5 on a z68 mobo. nothing is certain until intel releases ivb and officially states ivb related information.
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 12:28:15 PM

ihatehismap said:
I am using a motherboard with the z68 chipset and am wondering if i got ivy bridge if i would need a new motherboard.

You don't need to buy a new MB it will be compatible, all you need is to update the BIOS before you install it. But as now it's not yet available in the market. I read anticle that it will be introduced in the market by April of this year but, Intel will ship it by bulk in June same year. Iam also waiting for it but, It is not a good time buying a CPU when it's newly released, because it might still have some problems(bugs, compatibilty issues that may arise) and it is not yet reviewed and bench marked by PC enthussiasts and users. For me maybe I will buy the new CPU after 3 months when people already used it and tested and bench marked. Actually some Motherboard manufacturers right now have introduce a new motherboard with a chipset Z77 by intel. This is the motherboad that will be release simultaneously with the Ivy Bridge CPU.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 12:32:46 PM

de5_Roy said:
nothing is certain until intel releases ivb and officially states ivb related information.

and thats the key point, there could be a deep technical reason why it won't work, we just don't know.
March 1, 2012 12:51:40 PM

My recently obtained Asus ROG board specifies compatability with Intel 22 nm CPU
and Intel 32 nm CPU.

I have seen a chart , maybe on this site. Which breaks down the various abilities of the future Ivy bridge and shows that only the Z68 is expected to be fully compatible with Ivy Bridge.

Well shall see, but I cannot see that the likes of ASUS would seem to specify compatability when its not so.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 1:42:10 PM

its a 99% certainty that it will but there has been no official word making that 100% thats my point.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 2:20:30 PM

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/25272-ivy-bridg...

We spoke with a few motherboard manufactures and got word that the test version of Ivy Bridge they have works just fine in a few 60 series motherboards available today.
March 8, 2012 12:35:08 AM

i don't have another 1155 cpu to use when getting the bios update how can i get it without two cpu's.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 1:54:46 AM

ihatehismap said:
i don't have another 1155 cpu to use when getting the bios update how can i get it without two cpu's.

huh?

you don't need to have an ivy bridge processor to update your bios.

you need to have a cpu to update your bios.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 5:37:18 AM

use you r current processor and mobo
a c 184 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 5:39:50 AM

Most chipsets are supported, though I am not positive h61, h67 will entirely work, but am positive that p67 and z68 will.
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 7:31:53 AM

i saw a 'leaked' chipset roadmap-slide-thingie posted in the ivy bridge sticky. it said that intel will carry on using h61 as the basic segment while h77 will be used in 'media creation' segment and z75 and z77 will be at the top of the heap. i am guessing that there will be no h71 motherboard on the desktop side. it made sense to me because there is nothing new to add to a basic chipset that hasn't already been used in the h61. adding supports for usb 3 and/or sata 6 gb/s would conflict with h67 and h77 chipsets. and intel loves money.
from at's ivb preview i think that the mainstream sb chipsets will also support ivy bridge.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-c...
at didn't test the cpu with sb chipsets though.
to repeat - nothing is certain until intel releases ivb 'into the wild' and it gets tested.
ivy compatibility depends on motherboard manufacturers. if they don't supply the bios update, ivb cpu won't run on it or will cause problems. most mobos need a cpu present for bios update. some mobos can do that without a cpu.
if OP hasn't bought anything yet, then this discussion should be had at a much later time.
March 8, 2012 10:37:24 AM

Anonymous said:
huh?

you don't need to have an ivy bridge processor to update your bios.

you need to have a cpu to update your bios.

I don't have another cpu that will fit in the 1155 socket.
March 8, 2012 11:28:45 AM

Asus P8P67 Pro updated to latest bios. It supports ivy bridge
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 11:39:57 AM

If you haven't bought the processor or motherboard yet then you might as well wait when it's released.

As for the compatibility I'm almost certain it will work.Why else would they use PCI-E 3.0 support as marketing for the Gen 3 Z68 boards.
a c 184 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 2:03:42 PM

ihatehismap said:
I don't have another cpu that will fit in the 1155 socket.

Use the current cpu you are using to flash the bios.
March 8, 2012 8:23:45 PM

the current cpu is LGA 775 and i have already bought the 1155 motherboard.
a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 75 V Motherboard
March 8, 2012 8:44:16 PM

The Z68 chipset based board should support our next generation of Intel® Core™ processors as long as the motherboard manufacturer issues an updated Bios. I havent heard of any company that isn't offering updated Bios but it could happen. Now the older "6" series boards may not support all of the features that are going to be offered with the new generation Intel Core processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 6:44:48 AM

ihatehismap said:

There's a good rule to follow, which is to buy what you want all at the same time. If your Z68 board is broken, it may now be months since you brought it, and no shop will swap it as dead on arrival. Also 90% of stuff will go down in price, pending natural disasters.
March 9, 2012 7:05:04 AM

There will be a couple of Ivy-Bridge processors, that will be compatible with the 1555 socket motherboards.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 7:15:15 AM

ihatehismap said:

you may be lucky and it could have the latest bios depending on when the board was manufactured. its a hope, slim but, a hope.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 7:20:06 AM

matt2155 said:
There will be a couple of Ivy-Bridge processors, that will be compatible with the 1555 socket motherboards.

ALL ivy bridge processors will be compatible with 1155 mobos. Its actually that most 1155 mobos that will support and a small number where the manufacturer may not provide bios updates.

Please understand your subject before you post. Your last post on another topic indicated that you thought intel cpus were good to 80 something maybe even higher, based on what your mates run at, not whats actually safe. There's a danger that people will actually listen to you.
March 9, 2012 7:25:35 AM

13thmonkey said:
ALL ivy bridge processors will be compatible with 1155 mobos. Its actually that most 1155 mobos that will support and a small number where the manufacturer may not provide bios updates.

Please understand your subject before you post. Your last post on another topic indicated that you thought intel cpus were good to 80 something maybe even higher, based on what your mates run at, not whats actually safe. There's a danger that people will actually listen to you.

You do not understand.
Maybe if you would read the post, you would understand what I was saying.

I wasn't saying getting 80-90 was normal, I was saying it wasn't normal !

Read the whole post about before saying something I did not say.

Im not that dumb about IT
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 7:52:43 AM

1155 will stay out until haswell in 2013. Then its a new socket again.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2012 7:53:39 AM

matt2155 said:
You do not understand.
Maybe if you would read the post, you would understand what I was saying.

I wasn't saying getting 80-90 was normal, I was saying it wasn't normal !

Read the whole post about before saying something I did not say.

Im not that dumb about IT

Do you want me to quote you, are you so sure about what you said, because i know what I read. I'll quote if you want.
March 10, 2012 12:55:16 AM

13thmonkey said:
Do you want me to quote you, are you so sure about what you said, because i know what I read. I'll quote if you want.

Well, what I meant to say is not to go over 80 (85 deadline)

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2012 7:11:02 AM

and intel says 72.6, and you personally run at much lower than that? why don't you run your chip at 85?
March 10, 2012 7:30:09 AM

13thmonkey said:
and intel says 72.6, and you personally run at much lower than that? why don't you run your chip at 85?

85 is too much, but i have a i7 930 and they are much hotter than the newer i5's and i7's

I would never go anything over 80
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2012 7:57:53 AM

so do you run yours at 80? if you don't then don't advise other people to.
March 10, 2012 11:35:51 AM

I run mine at 80-85 because its an older processor and runs much hotter.

the i5 2500k, which was in the other thread should be much more cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2012 11:52:18 AM

there is a difference between what it should run at and what it is safe to run at, thats a concept that you've mixed up at lot on your posts.
March 10, 2012 11:58:09 AM

13thmonkey said:
there is a difference between what it should run at and what it is safe to run at, thats a concept that you've mixed up at lot on your posts.

I never said it was safe to run at 93 degrees.
I said it was safe to keep under 80.

what don't you get.
!