Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Micro stuttering with audio and video

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2011 4:34:01 AM

Hello all. Recently my audio and video started micro stuttering at the same time. It seems that it happens for a few minutes then goes away. I though it was just random lag in a game but it started happening more often. My computer started stuttering even without any programs running. I've observed that when this happens cpu usage fluctuates without anything running. This is starting to become really annoying and a problem as I am a gamer. Anyone have a solution?

Best solution

October 2, 2011 5:06:22 AM

It could be a software glitch, or a more serious hardware issue. It's difficult to test.

I would start by testing your RAM using Memtest (download, create a boot CD or USB, reboot to run and change BIOS settings to boot CD or USB before hard drive if needed).

If Memtest is okay, you may need to reinstall Windows. If you can find a spare hard drive, I recommend you:
1. Power down.
2. Unhook your Windows drive.
3. Hook up the spare drive.
4. Install Windows to the drive, plus the motherboard drivers, Graphics drivers and Microsoft updates.
5. Try gaming and see if the program still exists.

If reinstalling Windows fails then it's a hardware issue and you'll need to swap parts to test, unfortunately if it's the motherboard that's a big problem.

If it's a hardware problem you can also go back to your old Windows drive, but I suggest you temporarily keep the new (old) drive to avoid corrupting your good Windows installation while you test parts.

Good luck.

The most likely hardware culprit is:
motherboard

Software could be many things.

October 2, 2011 5:09:32 AM

Other:
Update the motherboard BIOS if it is out of date.

Hardware testing order:
1. RAM (memtest)
2. Power Supply (replacement must have enough Wattage and Amps)
3. audio card (turn off if onboard. If it's causing the glitches and you turn it off you'll have no sound, but also no glitchy video. In fact, if it's an AUDIO SOFTWARE issue you could disable your onboard audio in the BIOS and the video glitch would disappear.)
Score
Related resources
October 9, 2011 4:29:41 PM

Best answer selected by argan1996.
Score
October 9, 2011 4:31:37 PM

I finally fixed it. It seems unrelated but it was because my hdd was partitioned. I wanted to merge it eventually and I did. Soon I noticed that thre was no stuttering at all. I guess partitions can be a bit glitchy.
Score
October 9, 2011 4:32:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!