Zotac GTX 460 - New PC does not boot up with discrete graphics card

yohanliyanage

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hi Guys,

I recently started building a new rig and my PC does not seem to detect the graphics card, which is a Zotac GTX 460 AMP Edition. When I plug in the VGA cable to it, there's no display in monitor. But the BIOS seems to pass (I hear only a single short beep, which means success). On board graphics works fine (Intel HD Graphics 3000).

My Configuration is as follows :

CPU - Intel Core i7 2600-K (Not overclocked)
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LX
RAM - Corsair XMS 3 8GB 1333MHz
HDD - Hitachi Desktstar 1TB (7200rpm)
DVD - ASUS DVD-RW Drive
Power Supply - Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 650W

Only the above components are connected to my machine. I have plugged in the card to PCIe 16x slot (first one), and both PCIe power connectors (6pin) are plugged into the video card. The video card's fan starts spinning when I power on my PC. The BIOS is configured to check for PCIe graphics card when it boots up (Boot Sequence - PICe/PCI).

What could be the reason for this ? Could it be my PSU ?

Thanks for your time !

yohanliyanage

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
I returned the CM 650W PSU, and bought an Inwin Commander II 750W PSU, which had some good reviews.

However, it turns out that the problem is not in the graphics card, but it's a motherboard issue. Card works on the 2nd PCIe 16x slot, but not on the primay PICe slot. Seems like a defect in motherboard.

Quick question:

My motherboard manual says
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (blue @ 16x mode, black @ 4x mode).

Blue one is not working. I'm using the black one at the moment. Does this mean that there will be a performance difference? I don't plan on going SLI.